Blog: Will AMA use "bully pulpit" to praise energy drinks ban?
Andy Morton | 17 June 2013
The annual meeting of the American Medical Association's policy-making body started yesterday (16 June), bringing with it the usual sharp intake of breath from the soft drinks industry.
Last year, it was the House of Delegates's tentative support for sugar taxes that brought out the sweats, while this year Forbes has already reported the AMA may support a ban on energy drinks. The body has no decision making powers but, according to Forbes, it has a “bully pulpit on public health issues” and on Friday, shares in Monster Beverage Corp dropped 7% on reports of the potential ban endorsement.
Monster is no stranger to share price swings - it fell 12% after the company released its Q1 results in May - and its stock has already rebounded somewhat in morning trading.
But Monster and fellow energy drinks makers will be hoping the good doctors don't add to the growing threat of government regulation - outlined here - before the week is over.
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- Comment - Will the Sweetener Battle turn Sour?
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Coca-Cola Co promotes North America chief
- Bacardi widens Craigellachie footprint to Asia
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets