Blog: Will AMA use "bully pulpit" to praise energy drinks ban?
Andy Morton | 17 June 2013
The annual meeting of the American Medical Association's policy-making body started yesterday (16 June), bringing with it the usual sharp intake of breath from the soft drinks industry.
Last year, it was the House of Delegates's tentative support for sugar taxes that brought out the sweats, while this year Forbes has already reported the AMA may support a ban on energy drinks. The body has no decision making powers but, according to Forbes, it has a “bully pulpit on public health issues” and on Friday, shares in Monster Beverage Corp dropped 7% on reports of the potential ban endorsement.
Monster is no stranger to share price swings - it fell 12% after the company released its Q1 results in May - and its stock has already rebounded somewhat in morning trading.
But Monster and fellow energy drinks makers will be hoping the good doctors don't add to the growing threat of government regulation - outlined here - before the week is over.
This weekend, Bacardi is hosting a three-day music event on the private island of Palomino just off the coast of Puerto Rico....
Warmest thanks to all of you who filled in our annual readers' survey this month. The results are very important for us to learn from and look to improve our service to you....
Today's news that German spirits firm Mast-Jägermeister has joined UK responsible drinking organisation The Portman Group may raise eyebrows in some quarters....
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- SABMiller announces management reshuffle
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review