Blog: Will AMA use "bully pulpit" to praise energy drinks ban?
Andy Morton | 17 June 2013
The annual meeting of the American Medical Association's policy-making body started yesterday (16 June), bringing with it the usual sharp intake of breath from the soft drinks industry.
Last year, it was the House of Delegates's tentative support for sugar taxes that brought out the sweats, while this year Forbes has already reported the AMA may support a ban on energy drinks. The body has no decision making powers but, according to Forbes, it has a “bully pulpit on public health issues” and on Friday, shares in Monster Beverage Corp dropped 7% on reports of the potential ban endorsement.
Monster is no stranger to share price swings - it fell 12% after the company released its Q1 results in May - and its stock has already rebounded somewhat in morning trading.
But Monster and fellow energy drinks makers will be hoping the good doctors don't add to the growing threat of government regulation - outlined here - before the week is over.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Heineken's new range foreshadows craft's future
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Gruppo Campari Q4 & FY 2016 results - Preview
- Will fat-blocking products save the day for CSDs?
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Cognac set for future growth - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine market in UK