Blog: Will AMA use "bully pulpit" to praise energy drinks ban?
Andy Morton | 17 June 2013
The annual meeting of the American Medical Association's policy-making body started yesterday (16 June), bringing with it the usual sharp intake of breath from the soft drinks industry.
Last year, it was the House of Delegates's tentative support for sugar taxes that brought out the sweats, while this year Forbes has already reported the AMA may support a ban on energy drinks. The body has no decision making powers but, according to Forbes, it has a “bully pulpit on public health issues” and on Friday, shares in Monster Beverage Corp dropped 7% on reports of the potential ban endorsement.
Monster is no stranger to share price swings - it fell 12% after the company released its Q1 results in May - and its stock has already rebounded somewhat in morning trading.
But Monster and fellow energy drinks makers will be hoping the good doctors don't add to the growing threat of government regulation - outlined here - before the week is over.
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Britvic's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- This week in spirits & wine
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts