Blog: Why has Guinness gone nuts?
James Wilmore | 1 June 2012
Ever wondered what a Guinness-flavoured cashew nut would taste like?
No, me neither. But, if you have, your slathering wait is nearly over. From June 10, UK supermarket chain, Sainsbury’s, will be selling new Guinness Gourmet Peanuts & Cashews.
A “hearty” 90g grab bag will be on sale for GBP1.49.
But why? The PR bunf explains the product has been developed to “support consumer demands for innovative flavours and experiences within premium snacking products - a category which continues to thrive and drive market growth”.
In other words, Diageo wants a slice of the snack pie.
And fair enough, after all, according to figures from Mintel the category grew 6% last year to GBP3.18bn.
But personally, it feels like a slight devaluing of a great brand. Or as someone commented on Twitter (Diageo’s favourite social media outlet...possibly) - “Is this an example of a brand being stretched too far?”
I’m a big fan of the drink, in its original form, not the Extra Cold. But as an occasional drinker of the "Black Stuff", I’d never imagine a situation where I’d fancy a Guinness-flavoured nut. Although, I have enjoyed the odd steak and Guinness pie.
Anyway, perhaps the odd packet might end up on ebay like Guinness Marmite?
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Coca-Cola to get boost from Monster in China
- CCE shows faith in Coca-Cola Life with full launch
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- United Spirits bids for distribution deal approval
- Gruppo Campari US unit head steps down
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018