Blog: Why has Guinness gone nuts?
James Wilmore | 1 June 2012
Ever wondered what a Guinness-flavoured cashew nut would taste like?
No, me neither. But, if you have, your slathering wait is nearly over. From June 10, UK supermarket chain, Sainsbury’s, will be selling new Guinness Gourmet Peanuts & Cashews.
A “hearty” 90g grab bag will be on sale for GBP1.49.
But why? The PR bunf explains the product has been developed to “support consumer demands for innovative flavours and experiences within premium snacking products - a category which continues to thrive and drive market growth”.
In other words, Diageo wants a slice of the snack pie.
And fair enough, after all, according to figures from Mintel the category grew 6% last year to GBP3.18bn.
But personally, it feels like a slight devaluing of a great brand. Or as someone commented on Twitter (Diageo’s favourite social media outlet...possibly) - “Is this an example of a brand being stretched too far?”
I’m a big fan of the drink, in its original form, not the Extra Cold. But as an occasional drinker of the "Black Stuff", I’d never imagine a situation where I’d fancy a Guinness-flavoured nut. Although, I have enjoyed the odd steak and Guinness pie.
Anyway, perhaps the odd packet might end up on ebay like Guinness Marmite?
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research