Blog: Why has Guinness gone nuts?
James Wilmore | 1 June 2012
Ever wondered what a Guinness-flavoured cashew nut would taste like?
No, me neither. But, if you have, your slathering wait is nearly over. From June 10, UK supermarket chain, Sainsbury’s, will be selling new Guinness Gourmet Peanuts & Cashews.
A “hearty” 90g grab bag will be on sale for GBP1.49.
But why? The PR bunf explains the product has been developed to “support consumer demands for innovative flavours and experiences within premium snacking products - a category which continues to thrive and drive market growth”.
In other words, Diageo wants a slice of the snack pie.
And fair enough, after all, according to figures from Mintel the category grew 6% last year to GBP3.18bn.
But personally, it feels like a slight devaluing of a great brand. Or as someone commented on Twitter (Diageo’s favourite social media outlet...possibly) - “Is this an example of a brand being stretched too far?”
I’m a big fan of the drink, in its original form, not the Extra Cold. But as an occasional drinker of the "Black Stuff", I’d never imagine a situation where I’d fancy a Guinness-flavoured nut. Although, I have enjoyed the odd steak and Guinness pie.
Anyway, perhaps the odd packet might end up on ebay like Guinness Marmite?
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends