Blog: Whisky makes me frisky
Olly Wehring | 2 March 2007
It’s been whisky week for me these past few days.
Many thanks go to Chivas Brothers for the bottle of its namesake 12 Year Old which arrived on Monday. No sooner had I polished that off, than Inver House invited me to the launch of the repackaging for its Balblair range – a lovely drop of 1997 Single Malt.
I had to race to get that finished before yesterday’s lunch to unveil Chivas Brother’s Longmorn 16 Year Old. Not only did I get a bottle (half-way through, I think I peaked too soon), but I got to experience something I’d never done before.
Lunch was held at a little bar/restaurant called ‘Dans le Noir?’ in London. A quick meet’n’greet in the bar, and then we were led downstairs to the restaurant… which is in pitch darkness. An hour and a half trying to eat and converse in total blackout was not only a challenge, but startlingly enlightening and liberating.
Luckily, I got my clothes back on just in time at the end of the meal.
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring PepsiCo and Coca-Cola Co, Castel, Molson Coors and the cachaca sector....
There was a big focus on supermarkets and their Scotch offerings this week when a couple of own-brand malts scooped top awards at the International Wines and Spirits Competition (IWSC)....
You can't seem to move at the moment for news of US craft brewers expanding....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Coca-Cola Life, Australian Vintage, Pernod Ricard and BrewDog....
- just The Preview - Diageo's FY preliminaries
- Analysis - SABMiller's Australian issues continue
- Comment - Beer - What’s in a (Brand) Name?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's H1 & Q2
- NPD: Alcohol Beverage “Mash-Ups” Fuel Innovation
- Diageo silent over Shuijingfang writedown report
- Britvic promotes GB marketing head to global post
- Molson Coors CEO to retire
- Sales, profits fall at Moet Hennessy in H1
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned