Blog: Whine about wine
Chris Brook-Carter | 17 September 2003
The law's restrictions on sales and consumption of alcohol in public have angered Spain's cider and beer producers who complain that winemakers are not exposed to the same restrictions they are.
The agriculture ministry has responded by insisting that wine is a special case, an "agricultural product" that should be exempted.
Of course this sort of attitude towards wine in Europe is nothing new, but the extent to which it is viewed apart from other alcoholic drinks is well demonstrated in an anecdote at the end of the Independent's piece.
It tells of a former interior minister, caught at a football match with a leather wineskin or bota. He is reminded that his own ministry banned alcohol in stadiums. But, protested the culprit, surely a bota didn't count?
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Beam Suntory workers end Jim Beam strike
- Boston Beer Co outlines Samuel Adams innovation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends