Blog: Whine about wine
Chris Brook-Carter | 17 September 2003
The law's restrictions on sales and consumption of alcohol in public have angered Spain's cider and beer producers who complain that winemakers are not exposed to the same restrictions they are.
The agriculture ministry has responded by insisting that wine is a special case, an "agricultural product" that should be exempted.
Of course this sort of attitude towards wine in Europe is nothing new, but the extent to which it is viewed apart from other alcoholic drinks is well demonstrated in an anecdote at the end of the Independent's piece.
It tells of a former interior minister, caught at a football match with a leather wineskin or bota. He is reminded that his own ministry banned alcohol in stadiums. But, protested the culprit, surely a bota didn't count?
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- "We tried to make Bushmills hot" - Diageo CEO
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Brexit "not a big deal" for Scotch - Diageo CEO
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends