Blog: Whine about wine
Chris Brook-Carter | 17 September 2003
The law's restrictions on sales and consumption of alcohol in public have angered Spain's cider and beer producers who complain that winemakers are not exposed to the same restrictions they are.
The agriculture ministry has responded by insisting that wine is a special case, an "agricultural product" that should be exempted.
Of course this sort of attitude towards wine in Europe is nothing new, but the extent to which it is viewed apart from other alcoholic drinks is well demonstrated in an anecdote at the end of the Independent's piece.
It tells of a former interior minister, caught at a football match with a leather wineskin or bota. He is reminded that his own ministry banned alcohol in stadiums. But, protested the culprit, surely a bota didn't count?
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research