Blog: While we were sleeping...
Olly Wehring | 30 August 2006
With apologies to those of you who thought we were off the pace on Monday (28 August) - we were off celebrating/commiserating the last day of the British summer, hence no just-drinks output.
While we were away, however, Brown-Forman took the opportunity to snap up the Tequila assets of Grupo Industrial Herradura.
Not everyone remains convinced by the attention given to Herradura in recent months. Robert van Brugge, an analyst at US investment bank Sanford C. Bernstein, said he was unsure whether the acquisition of Herradura would be a great way to break into the buoyant market for Tequila in the US.
“Cuervo and Sauza dominate the mid-end and Patrón is the premium end - it’s tough for anyone else to break into the category,” he told just-drinks. “High-end brands are gaining share but given the growth rate of Herradura, it’s not a game-changing move in the category.”
However, though the independently-owned Patrón is the dominant premium Tequila in the US, there remains a lot of room for rival brands at the top end of the market. And with the distribution strength of Brown-Forman behind it, be sure that Herradura will be a Tequila to watch in the coming months.
The long-running spat between US and Czech brewers stepped up a notch this week after the Czech president described American beer as “filthy water”....
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Smirnoff tops UK shopping list - figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018