Blog: While we were sleeping...
Olly Wehring | 30 August 2006
With apologies to those of you who thought we were off the pace on Monday (28 August) - we were off celebrating/commiserating the last day of the British summer, hence no just-drinks output.
While we were away, however, Brown-Forman took the opportunity to snap up the Tequila assets of Grupo Industrial Herradura.
Not everyone remains convinced by the attention given to Herradura in recent months. Robert van Brugge, an analyst at US investment bank Sanford C. Bernstein, said he was unsure whether the acquisition of Herradura would be a great way to break into the buoyant market for Tequila in the US.
“Cuervo and Sauza dominate the mid-end and Patrón is the premium end - it’s tough for anyone else to break into the category,” he told just-drinks. “High-end brands are gaining share but given the growth rate of Herradura, it’s not a game-changing move in the category.”
However, though the independently-owned Patrón is the dominant premium Tequila in the US, there remains a lot of room for rival brands at the top end of the market. And with the distribution strength of Brown-Forman behind it, be sure that Herradura will be a Tequila to watch in the coming months.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- A Keeper of the Quaich writes - Editor's Viewpoint
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends