Blog: While we were sleeping...
Olly Wehring | 30 August 2006
With apologies to those of you who thought we were off the pace on Monday (28 August) - we were off celebrating/commiserating the last day of the British summer, hence no just-drinks output.
While we were away, however, Brown-Forman took the opportunity to snap up the Tequila assets of Grupo Industrial Herradura.
Not everyone remains convinced by the attention given to Herradura in recent months. Robert van Brugge, an analyst at US investment bank Sanford C. Bernstein, said he was unsure whether the acquisition of Herradura would be a great way to break into the buoyant market for Tequila in the US.
“Cuervo and Sauza dominate the mid-end and Patrón is the premium end - it’s tough for anyone else to break into the category,” he told just-drinks. “High-end brands are gaining share but given the growth rate of Herradura, it’s not a game-changing move in the category.”
However, though the independently-owned Patrón is the dominant premium Tequila in the US, there remains a lot of room for rival brands at the top end of the market. And with the distribution strength of Brown-Forman behind it, be sure that Herradura will be a Tequila to watch in the coming months.
Collecting wine is big business – and so is faking it. So, how do you tell your Chateau Lafite from your Chateau La Counterfeit?...
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review