Blog: Which calories count?
Lucy Britner | 8 June 2016
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US.
The company asserted that the move was a response to consumers looking to be more healthy. At the same time, the report showed that all other liquid refreshment beverages (LRBs), including energy drinks and CSDs, declined in both volume and individual consumption over the period.
"New analysis shows switch to bottled water from other drinks saves the average person the caloric equivalent of 87 cheeseburgers per year," the study said.
Except it seems some didn't get the memo about not eating 87 extra cheeseburgers.
In the same week, the Centre for Disease Control in the US said nearly a third of Americans over the age of 20 reported they were obese in 2015.
Soft drinks have long been the poster child for obesity problems. Is it time to look more closely at food?
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Alcohol brands and the 'better-for-you' trend
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD results - Preview
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends