Blog: Which calories count?
Lucy Britner | 8 June 2016
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US.
The company asserted that the move was a response to consumers looking to be more healthy. At the same time, the report showed that all other liquid refreshment beverages (LRBs), including energy drinks and CSDs, declined in both volume and individual consumption over the period.
"New analysis shows switch to bottled water from other drinks saves the average person the caloric equivalent of 87 cheeseburgers per year," the study said.
Except it seems some didn't get the memo about not eating 87 extra cheeseburgers.
In the same week, the Centre for Disease Control in the US said nearly a third of Americans over the age of 20 reported they were obese in 2015.
Soft drinks have long been the poster child for obesity problems. Is it time to look more closely at food?
Chicago-based "soda collective" Hop Pop Soda Co has launched a soft drink that is flavoured with hops....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Pernod Ricard offloads Domecq brandies, wines
- Molson Coors names UK & Ireland managing director
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- TWE renames Blossom Hill fruit wine range