Blog: When the Champers runs out, I'll be here for you
Olly Wehring | 3 February 2006
The UK papers have been carrying stories recently about wealthy bankers blowing their bonuses in London’s bars and restaurants. The opulent spending has proved quite sickening to read, but also quite worrying for France’s Champagne houses.
Sales of jeroboams of Champagne in the UK have been so good in the last few months, that Dom Pérignon has almost run out, according to industry reports.
"We saw a similar pattern like this occurring this time last year,” a spokesman for Dom Pérignon told Decanter. “It seems that when bonuses are announced the city likes to celebrate with as big a bottle of Champagne as possible.”
The average jeroboam from a top champagne house costs over GBP3,000 in many London bars and nightclubs, Decanter noted.
Cheques should be made payable to Olly Wehring, and sent to just-drinks Towers,…
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report