Blog: When the Champers runs out, I'll be here for you
Olly Wehring | 3 February 2006
The UK papers have been carrying stories recently about wealthy bankers blowing their bonuses in London’s bars and restaurants. The opulent spending has proved quite sickening to read, but also quite worrying for France’s Champagne houses.
Sales of jeroboams of Champagne in the UK have been so good in the last few months, that Dom Pérignon has almost run out, according to industry reports.
"We saw a similar pattern like this occurring this time last year,” a spokesman for Dom Pérignon told Decanter. “It seems that when bonuses are announced the city likes to celebrate with as big a bottle of Champagne as possible.”
The average jeroboam from a top champagne house costs over GBP3,000 in many London bars and nightclubs, Decanter noted.
Cheques should be made payable to Olly Wehring, and sent to just-drinks Towers,…
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020