Blog: When it comes to booze, the hair never lies
Olly Wehring | 18 April 2007
Apparently, in New Zealand, there’s now a service that can reveal your alcohol history through your hair. Yes, your hair. It’s like Quincy. But better. Be very afraid.
The NZ Drug Detection Agency (NZDDA) is offering up the results to clinics, treatment centres and law practices in the country. The agency said today (18 April) that, as the hair grows, it absorbs special markers called fatty acid ethyl esters and ethyl glucuronide into its structure, which remains in the hair indefinitely.
“It gives a history going back month by month or even years if required.’’ said the NZDDA.
The new service is set to identify long-term alcoholics in an attempt to reform them.
Now, anyone else thinking of doing a Britney?
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends