Blog: When is a vodka not a vodka?
Olly Wehring | 30 October 2006
The EU made its presence felt on several fronts last week, proving its usual source of controversy. While many in the drinks industry bemoan the part played by the authorities at times, on the issue of the definition of vodka , it is clear that the EU is simply holding up a mirror to the producers.
Last week, agriculture ministers from member states across the EU could not agree on what should and should not constitute vodka. While countries such as Poland, Finland and Sweden want vodka protected as a traditional spirit made only from grain or potatoes, there are others out there who feel that anything can be used to make vodka, so long as it tastes like, you’ve guessed it, vodka.
The argument is about heritage - traditional vodka-producing countries have a strong affinity for the product and believe they are the home of the spirit. As the planet becomes a smaller place, they argue, where you come from is an anchor in an ever-changing world.
The problem is, however, that the taste of vodka is pretty easy to recreate; the vast majority of consumers would not be able to tell the difference between vodkas made from a variety of raw ingredients. Indeed, at the meeting, the EU Agriculture Commissioner, Mariann Fischer Boel, offered to set up a blind tasting for Council members.
Where this will end is tough to guess - probably with a compromise. But trading on what something is made of, or even where it came from, is proving harder and harder in the 21st century.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends