Blog: What time is it? I DON'T CARE!
Olly Wehring | 24 November 2005
Ah, what a great day to be a Brit. Today, 24 November 2005, finally sees the introduction of new legislation which, among other things, affects the hours our pubs can close at. The compulsory closing of Britain’s boozers at 11pm – originally introduced in the run-up to World War I to ensure factory workers weren’t drunk at work – has given way to the possibility of 24-hour drinking in these fair isles.
After a media frenzy unlike anything I’ve seen in all my days, and a last-ditch attempt to scupper the legislation by various pressure groups, the police and Her Majesty’s Opposition, I can now walk into my local, any time I like, and ask for “a pint of best, please, landlord.”
What this will result in for the nation’s binge-drinkers remains to be seen – blood on the streets? Less violence? A lager drought? In the short-term, the situation may, indeed, get worse before it gets better. But at least now, I, as one of the majority of responsible adults who enjoy drinking in moderation, am finally in a position to drink what I like, when I like. And that can only be a good thing.
So, tonight, I will raise my glass to you, my dear reader, at whatever time I see fit.
A happy, happy day.
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research