Blog: What time is it? I DON'T CARE!
Olly Wehring | 24 November 2005
Ah, what a great day to be a Brit. Today, 24 November 2005, finally sees the introduction of new legislation which, among other things, affects the hours our pubs can close at. The compulsory closing of Britain’s boozers at 11pm – originally introduced in the run-up to World War I to ensure factory workers weren’t drunk at work – has given way to the possibility of 24-hour drinking in these fair isles.
After a media frenzy unlike anything I’ve seen in all my days, and a last-ditch attempt to scupper the legislation by various pressure groups, the police and Her Majesty’s Opposition, I can now walk into my local, any time I like, and ask for “a pint of best, please, landlord.”
What this will result in for the nation’s binge-drinkers remains to be seen – blood on the streets? Less violence? A lager drought? In the short-term, the situation may, indeed, get worse before it gets better. But at least now, I, as one of the majority of responsible adults who enjoy drinking in moderation, am finally in a position to drink what I like, when I like. And that can only be a good thing.
So, tonight, I will raise my glass to you, my dear reader, at whatever time I see fit.
A happy, happy day.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report