Blog: What time is it? I DON'T CARE!
Olly Wehring | 24 November 2005
Ah, what a great day to be a Brit. Today, 24 November 2005, finally sees the introduction of new legislation which, among other things, affects the hours our pubs can close at. The compulsory closing of Britain’s boozers at 11pm – originally introduced in the run-up to World War I to ensure factory workers weren’t drunk at work – has given way to the possibility of 24-hour drinking in these fair isles.
After a media frenzy unlike anything I’ve seen in all my days, and a last-ditch attempt to scupper the legislation by various pressure groups, the police and Her Majesty’s Opposition, I can now walk into my local, any time I like, and ask for “a pint of best, please, landlord.”
What this will result in for the nation’s binge-drinkers remains to be seen – blood on the streets? Less violence? A lager drought? In the short-term, the situation may, indeed, get worse before it gets better. But at least now, I, as one of the majority of responsible adults who enjoy drinking in moderation, am finally in a position to drink what I like, when I like. And that can only be a good thing.
So, tonight, I will raise my glass to you, my dear reader, at whatever time I see fit.
A happy, happy day.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
The Coca-Cola Co is in the middle of a major restructuring plan, affecting jobs around the world. The company is also downsizing its packaging....
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- US spirits pricing went "a little high" - Diageo
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Diageo H1 sales flatline as Q2 improves
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research