Blog: What price premium?
Olly Wehring | 22 April 2010
I managed to grab some time with Diageo's chief marketing officer, Andy Fennell, yesterday and a fascinating chat we had too. The fruits of our conversation will be up on just-drinks early next week.
I thought I'd take the opportunity to ask Andy a question that I've been scared of asking anyone in the drinks industry, since I joined just-drinks, for fear of looking, well... a bit stupid.
"What price is premium?"
The term 'premiumisation' may remain a spellcheck candidate on Word, but in our industry it has become ubiquitous with every single one of you. But, how much does a product have to be to qualify as 'premium'?
"The generally accepted definition of premium (in the spirits category) is at the Smirnoff, Captain Morgan price point and upwards," Andy told me. "If you're in the US, you're talking US$10 and up per standard bottle is premium, $20 and up is super-premium and $30 and up is ultra-premium."
Do these levels ring true with your firm? Because $10 per standard bottle strikes me as remarkably good value for a bottle of premium spirit.
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
Jim Cramer, the excitable host of stock-picker programme Mad Money on CNBC, turned his attention on US brewers last week, attempting to forecast which has the most potential for investors....
- Boom time for soft drinks in West Europe?
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Patron's lesson for the broader spirits sector
- Alcohol and the risk of breast cancer - ISFAR
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Rum "yet to maximise" GTR potential - Bacardi
- Diageo names Javier Ferran as new chairman
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends