Blog: What price premium?
Olly Wehring | 22 April 2010
I managed to grab some time with Diageo's chief marketing officer, Andy Fennell, yesterday and a fascinating chat we had too. The fruits of our conversation will be up on just-drinks early next week.
I thought I'd take the opportunity to ask Andy a question that I've been scared of asking anyone in the drinks industry, since I joined just-drinks, for fear of looking, well... a bit stupid.
"What price is premium?"
The term 'premiumisation' may remain a spellcheck candidate on Word, but in our industry it has become ubiquitous with every single one of you. But, how much does a product have to be to qualify as 'premium'?
"The generally accepted definition of premium (in the spirits category) is at the Smirnoff, Captain Morgan price point and upwards," Andy told me. "If you're in the US, you're talking US$10 and up per standard bottle is premium, $20 and up is super-premium and $30 and up is ultra-premium."
Do these levels ring true with your firm? Because $10 per standard bottle strikes me as remarkably good value for a bottle of premium spirit.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD results - Preview
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends