Blog: What does space whisky taste like?
Andy Morton | 11 September 2015
There are six classic regions for Scotch whisky - Highland, Lowland, Islay, Speyside, West Highlands and Islands. We might need to add outer space to that list.
Space has very much been on whisky’s mind of late with a bunch of marketing gimmickry roping in the great unknown. Most bizarre has been Ardbeg Distillery's decision to age some of its product for three years on the International Space Station.
The liquid has just returned to Earth, where it was sampled by a group of whisky tasters. The result? According to a report in The Verge, space whisky tastes “pungent, intense, and long, with hints of wood, antiseptic lozenges, and rubbery smoke”.
Sound interesting? Think again. One of the tasters, Bill Lumsden, head of distilling and whiskey creation for Glenmorangie, told The Verge the whisky wasn't very good. Why? “That I haven't been able to work out yet," Lumsden said.
Just one more mystery to add to the universe.
just-drinks is thrilled to welcome a new industry commentator to the fold. Until earlier this year, Ian Shackleton spent over 25 years as a beverages analyst with several major banks, including Credit...
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- The European beer market - Focus
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery
- Diageo reaches deal in Stitzel legal row
- Sazerac poaches ex-Diageo government director