Blog: What does space whisky taste like?
Andy Morton | 11 September 2015
There are six classic regions for Scotch whisky - Highland, Lowland, Islay, Speyside, West Highlands and Islands. We might need to add outer space to that list.
Space has very much been on whisky’s mind of late with a bunch of marketing gimmickry roping in the great unknown. Most bizarre has been Ardbeg Distillery's decision to age some of its product for three years on the International Space Station.
The liquid has just returned to Earth, where it was sampled by a group of whisky tasters. The result? According to a report in The Verge, space whisky tastes “pungent, intense, and long, with hints of wood, antiseptic lozenges, and rubbery smoke”.
Sound interesting? Think again. One of the tasters, Bill Lumsden, head of distilling and whiskey creation for Glenmorangie, told The Verge the whisky wasn't very good. Why? “That I haven't been able to work out yet," Lumsden said.
Just one more mystery to add to the universe.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
Diageo has continued investing in Australian rum brand Bundaberg with a packaging overhaul ahead of the Summer....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Alcohol brands and the 'better-for-you' trend
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Diageo unveils new Bundaberg Rum packaging
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends