Blog: What does space whisky taste like?
Andy Morton | 11 September 2015
There are six classic regions for Scotch whisky - Highland, Lowland, Islay, Speyside, West Highlands and Islands. We might need to add outer space to that list.
Space has very much been on whisky’s mind of late with a bunch of marketing gimmickry roping in the great unknown. Most bizarre has been Ardbeg Distillery's decision to age some of its product for three years on the International Space Station.
The liquid has just returned to Earth, where it was sampled by a group of whisky tasters. The result? According to a report in The Verge, space whisky tastes “pungent, intense, and long, with hints of wood, antiseptic lozenges, and rubbery smoke”.
Sound interesting? Think again. One of the tasters, Bill Lumsden, head of distilling and whiskey creation for Glenmorangie, told The Verge the whisky wasn't very good. Why? “That I haven't been able to work out yet," Lumsden said.
Just one more mystery to add to the universe.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Cognac is back - is Remy Cointreau ready?
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Cognac needs innovation at bottom end - Pernod
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World