Blog: What does beer and Hollywood have in common? - video
Andy Morton | 23 September 2013
The beer industry has, over the past few decades at least, not been best served by American cinema.
While spirits have a sharp-edged coolness on the big screen - the opening scene in Apocalypse Now, those bits inbetween the drug-taking in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - beer is merely a back-catalogue of blue-collar tropes and scenes set in that same Irish bar, the one with a pool table and a neon shamrock on the wall.
That may be about to change. Dubbed the “Sideways” of beer, “Drinking Buddies”, due out in the UK and Ireland in November, attempts to jettison the working class American clichés and update the genre for beer's newest audience - the craft connoisseur.
The movie was released in North America earlier this year and got some very respectable reviews, too (currently 79% on Rotten Tomatoes). But you may have missed it because it was on a limited release and has so far taken less than a quarter of a million US dollars at the box office. Compare that to Insidious: Chapter 2 (Rotton Tomatoes rating: 35%), a new horror movie that this week alone took US$14.5m.
So maybe the beer industry, where craft beer takes all the good reviews despite holding just 7% of the US beer market, has something in common with Hollywood after all. With both, the indies get the critical acclaim but the majority of the audience sticks with the blockbusters.
Sectors: Beer & cider
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research