Blog: "What do we want?" "Erm..."
Olly Wehring | 8 April 2009
Is it me, or has the age of protest taken a slightly surreal path?
In the space of a week here in the UK, we've seen two different protest groups head to the seat of Government, protesting at the sorry lot of drinks companies and pubs in the country.
The first, organised by a French wine brand, and backed by three trade publications in the UK, saw a glove puppet deliver a petition to Downing Street, calling for the reduction of the duty on a bottle of wine to GBP1 (US$1.47).
Then, this week, a collection of five human-sized pints of beer led the call to 'Axe the Beer Tax', urging the Government to scrap beer tax rises in the country.
Last week, many of us here in the UK held our breath when the G20 protests took place in London. The fear was that demonstrators would turn violent on either people or property. As it turns out, a branch of RBS was set upon.
My concern is whether the former two forms of protest trivialise their respective campaigns, or whether they personalise them. If they trivialise, then not using 'cartoon characters', and not kicking seven shades out of something, leaves us with...
... what, exactly?
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends