Blog: "What do we want?" "Erm..."
Olly Wehring | 8 April 2009
Is it me, or has the age of protest taken a slightly surreal path?
In the space of a week here in the UK, we've seen two different protest groups head to the seat of Government, protesting at the sorry lot of drinks companies and pubs in the country.
The first, organised by a French wine brand, and backed by three trade publications in the UK, saw a glove puppet deliver a petition to Downing Street, calling for the reduction of the duty on a bottle of wine to GBP1 (US$1.47).
Then, this week, a collection of five human-sized pints of beer led the call to 'Axe the Beer Tax', urging the Government to scrap beer tax rises in the country.
Last week, many of us here in the UK held our breath when the G20 protests took place in London. The fear was that demonstrators would turn violent on either people or property. As it turns out, a branch of RBS was set upon.
My concern is whether the former two forms of protest trivialise their respective campaigns, or whether they personalise them. If they trivialise, then not using 'cartoon characters', and not kicking seven shades out of something, leaves us with...
... what, exactly?
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets