Blog: "What do we want?" "Erm..."
Olly Wehring | 8 April 2009
Is it me, or has the age of protest taken a slightly surreal path?
In the space of a week here in the UK, we've seen two different protest groups head to the seat of Government, protesting at the sorry lot of drinks companies and pubs in the country.
The first, organised by a French wine brand, and backed by three trade publications in the UK, saw a glove puppet deliver a petition to Downing Street, calling for the reduction of the duty on a bottle of wine to GBP1 (US$1.47).
Then, this week, a collection of five human-sized pints of beer led the call to 'Axe the Beer Tax', urging the Government to scrap beer tax rises in the country.
Last week, many of us here in the UK held our breath when the G20 protests took place in London. The fear was that demonstrators would turn violent on either people or property. As it turns out, a branch of RBS was set upon.
My concern is whether the former two forms of protest trivialise their respective campaigns, or whether they personalise them. If they trivialise, then not using 'cartoon characters', and not kicking seven shades out of something, leaves us with...
... what, exactly?
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Britvic appoints SABMiller's Dunn as CFO
- Q2 drags on half-year for Anheuser-Busch InBev
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research