Blog: We're new here, so stop fighting, you lot.
Olly Wehring | 15 November 2005
And so, a new week, a new editor (hopefully that turnover will be less frequent) and two new acquisition rows that look set to dominate the just-drinks headlines for the weeks ahead.
First things first, however. A big hello to you all from me, Olly Wehring, your new editor, and Dean Best, our newly-appointed news editor. As Chris Brook-Carter makes his way upstairs with a box-full of memories and his fluffy gonk, it leaves Dean and I to fill his warm seat. Having spent the last two years as news editor with just-drinks, I hope to keep things running as efficiently as usual, although do feel free to let me know at any time how things out there are looking. Just click reply, and come and say hi (I should be in marketing).
Meanwhile, on the other side of the World…
Lion Nathan’s attempts to buy up the family-owned Coopers Brewery in Australia has prompted a strong attack from the brewer. Last week, Coopers suggested that Lion was resorting to “desperate” moves to buy it, while putting pressure on any person involved in the takeover battle. “The level of hysteria from (Lion’s managing director) Robert Murray seems to increase daily,” claimed Coopers’ MD, Tim Cooper.
And in the US, Constellation upped the ante late last week in its bid to buy Vincor. In a lively conference call, CEO Richard Sands accused the Vincor board of not working in the best interests of shareholders, while suggesting the Canadian-based company was changing the rules as it goes along. “They (Vincor’s board) will not give us the (company) information unless we give them a firm offer at a price that we don’t know what it is,” he said.
With stories like this on the go in my first week in charge, it looks like a rollercoaster introduction to the big league for me.
Now, if I could just find my Snoopy doll.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits