Blog: We're new here, so stop fighting, you lot.
Olly Wehring | 15 November 2005
And so, a new week, a new editor (hopefully that turnover will be less frequent) and two new acquisition rows that look set to dominate the just-drinks headlines for the weeks ahead.
First things first, however. A big hello to you all from me, Olly Wehring, your new editor, and Dean Best, our newly-appointed news editor. As Chris Brook-Carter makes his way upstairs with a box-full of memories and his fluffy gonk, it leaves Dean and I to fill his warm seat. Having spent the last two years as news editor with just-drinks, I hope to keep things running as efficiently as usual, although do feel free to let me know at any time how things out there are looking. Just click reply, and come and say hi (I should be in marketing).
Meanwhile, on the other side of the World…
Lion Nathan’s attempts to buy up the family-owned Coopers Brewery in Australia has prompted a strong attack from the brewer. Last week, Coopers suggested that Lion was resorting to “desperate” moves to buy it, while putting pressure on any person involved in the takeover battle. “The level of hysteria from (Lion’s managing director) Robert Murray seems to increase daily,” claimed Coopers’ MD, Tim Cooper.
And in the US, Constellation upped the ante late last week in its bid to buy Vincor. In a lively conference call, CEO Richard Sands accused the Vincor board of not working in the best interests of shareholders, while suggesting the Canadian-based company was changing the rules as it goes along. “They (Vincor’s board) will not give us the (company) information unless we give them a firm offer at a price that we don’t know what it is,” he said.
With stories like this on the go in my first week in charge, it looks like a rollercoaster introduction to the big league for me.
Now, if I could just find my Snoopy doll.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research