Blog: We're new here, so stop fighting, you lot.
Olly Wehring | 15 November 2005
And so, a new week, a new editor (hopefully that turnover will be less frequent) and two new acquisition rows that look set to dominate the just-drinks headlines for the weeks ahead.
First things first, however. A big hello to you all from me, Olly Wehring, your new editor, and Dean Best, our newly-appointed news editor. As Chris Brook-Carter makes his way upstairs with a box-full of memories and his fluffy gonk, it leaves Dean and I to fill his warm seat. Having spent the last two years as news editor with just-drinks, I hope to keep things running as efficiently as usual, although do feel free to let me know at any time how things out there are looking. Just click reply, and come and say hi (I should be in marketing).
Meanwhile, on the other side of the World…
Lion Nathan’s attempts to buy up the family-owned Coopers Brewery in Australia has prompted a strong attack from the brewer. Last week, Coopers suggested that Lion was resorting to “desperate” moves to buy it, while putting pressure on any person involved in the takeover battle. “The level of hysteria from (Lion’s managing director) Robert Murray seems to increase daily,” claimed Coopers’ MD, Tim Cooper.
And in the US, Constellation upped the ante late last week in its bid to buy Vincor. In a lively conference call, CEO Richard Sands accused the Vincor board of not working in the best interests of shareholders, while suggesting the Canadian-based company was changing the rules as it goes along. “They (Vincor’s board) will not give us the (company) information unless we give them a firm offer at a price that we don’t know what it is,” he said.
With stories like this on the go in my first week in charge, it looks like a rollercoaster introduction to the big league for me.
Now, if I could just find my Snoopy doll.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends