Blog: Welsh whisky downs swine flu?
Olly Wehring | 4 August 2009
The only whisky distillery in Wales has been thrust to the forefront of the fight against swine flu, following comments by the head of Russia's football supporters' club.
"We urge our fans to drink a lot of Welsh whisky as a form of disinfection," Alexander Shprygin told Reuters this week, ahead of Russia's World Cup Qualifier with Wales in Cardiff on 9 September.
"That should cure all symptoms of the disease," he added.
Exactly where Shprygin has gleaned his insight on beating the H1N1 virus remains unclear.
Still, I don't suppose the Penderyn Distillery in the Brecon Beacons will mind. Billed as the "best little distillery in Wales" on the Penderyn website, the group goes on to explain that, "in fact, the Penderyn Distillery is the only distillery in Wales".
Shprygin's comments followed an official warning from Russia's health agency, which has urged fans not to attend the Wales game due to concerns about swine flu in the UK.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- How soft drinks can exploit alcohol's loss
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends