Blog: Welsh whisky downs swine flu?
Olly Wehring | 4 August 2009
The only whisky distillery in Wales has been thrust to the forefront of the fight against swine flu, following comments by the head of Russia's football supporters' club.
"We urge our fans to drink a lot of Welsh whisky as a form of disinfection," Alexander Shprygin told Reuters this week, ahead of Russia's World Cup Qualifier with Wales in Cardiff on 9 September.
"That should cure all symptoms of the disease," he added.
Exactly where Shprygin has gleaned his insight on beating the H1N1 virus remains unclear.
Still, I don't suppose the Penderyn Distillery in the Brecon Beacons will mind. Billed as the "best little distillery in Wales" on the Penderyn website, the group goes on to explain that, "in fact, the Penderyn Distillery is the only distillery in Wales".
Shprygin's comments followed an official warning from Russia's health agency, which has urged fans not to attend the Wales game due to concerns about swine flu in the UK.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends