Blog: Welsh whisky downs swine flu?
Olly Wehring | 4 August 2009
The only whisky distillery in Wales has been thrust to the forefront of the fight against swine flu, following comments by the head of Russia's football supporters' club.
"We urge our fans to drink a lot of Welsh whisky as a form of disinfection," Alexander Shprygin told Reuters this week, ahead of Russia's World Cup Qualifier with Wales in Cardiff on 9 September.
"That should cure all symptoms of the disease," he added.
Exactly where Shprygin has gleaned his insight on beating the H1N1 virus remains unclear.
Still, I don't suppose the Penderyn Distillery in the Brecon Beacons will mind. Billed as the "best little distillery in Wales" on the Penderyn website, the group goes on to explain that, "in fact, the Penderyn Distillery is the only distillery in Wales".
Shprygin's comments followed an official warning from Russia's health agency, which has urged fans not to attend the Wales game due to concerns about swine flu in the UK.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- A Keeper of the Quaich writes - Editor's Viewpoint
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends