Blog: Vodka under the bridge
Chris Brook-Carter | 16 October 2003
No country is so synonymous with vodka as Russia and the political powers that be have not been slow to jump on the bandwagon. Moscow's powerful mayor and a close ally of Putin, Yury Luzhkov, has even promised to open a vodka museum near Moscow's Kristall Distillery, during the celebrations. ''Russian vodka is acclaimed throughout the world and the public must celebrate the jubilee,'' he said.
But Russia's vodka industry remains in chaos. I saw one report this week that said that up to 65% of all vodka consumed in the country was produced illegally. On top of this the fight for the leading trademarks in the country goes on, with Soyuzplodoimport (the government-owned body) running things domestically, but SPI (the private business) controlling the rights abroad.
Perhaps, with celebrations underway, it was no coincidence that a flurry of claims and counter claims came out this week. But there were statements of intent by both sides about controlling the brand names abroad. SPI claimed victory in a Dutch court recognised them as the rightful owner of Moskovskaya. However, almost at the same time a story appeared claiming Soyuzplodoimport would begin exports to Romania at the end of October.
Could this dispute affect 500 years of heritage? Probably not, but much water (and even a little blood) has passed under the bridge of the Volga since 1503, perhaps in the interests of the industry in the next 500 years a little more should be allowed to pass.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends