Blog: Vodka - does it matter what you're made of?
Olly Wehring | 11 September 2006
As some of you may know, the European Commission is at loggerheads with Finland, which holds the rotating EU presidency, over vodka. While the Finns are pushing for protection for the spirit as a traditional spirit made only from grain or potatoes, the Commission wants to allow vodka to be made from a far broader range of ingredients.
While talks between the two sides are ongoing, the BBC has run a fascinating, albeit not wholly scientific, survey of whether consumers could tell which vodka was made from what agricultural produce.
With only three correct guesses out of 20 samples, a success rate of only 15% leads to the conclusion that it isn't as important as some might think. The bewildering array of contradictions amongst the samplers, however, might also suggest that this test shouldn't be taken as gospel.
It could, of course, also be an indication of what a weird and wonderful spirit vodka is. I remember visiting Russia four years ago, and hating the stuff prior to arrival. An intensive crash course in vodka drinking etiquette, however, drove me to love the stuff.
Churchill once said that Russia was a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. He could also have been referring to vodka.
For the full BBC report, click here.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends