Blog: Vodka - does it matter what you're made of?
Olly Wehring | 11 September 2006
As some of you may know, the European Commission is at loggerheads with Finland, which holds the rotating EU presidency, over vodka. While the Finns are pushing for protection for the spirit as a traditional spirit made only from grain or potatoes, the Commission wants to allow vodka to be made from a far broader range of ingredients.
While talks between the two sides are ongoing, the BBC has run a fascinating, albeit not wholly scientific, survey of whether consumers could tell which vodka was made from what agricultural produce.
With only three correct guesses out of 20 samples, a success rate of only 15% leads to the conclusion that it isn't as important as some might think. The bewildering array of contradictions amongst the samplers, however, might also suggest that this test shouldn't be taken as gospel.
It could, of course, also be an indication of what a weird and wonderful spirit vodka is. I remember visiting Russia four years ago, and hating the stuff prior to arrival. An intensive crash course in vodka drinking etiquette, however, drove me to love the stuff.
Churchill once said that Russia was a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. He could also have been referring to vodka.
For the full BBC report, click here.
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
While analysts mull the numbers of Anheuser-Busch InBev's impending offer for SABMiller, there's a timely reminder in The Times newspaper this week that the proposed deal may yet fall victim to other ...
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Inver House Distillers posts FY profits leap
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research