Blog: Vinopolis eyes expansion
Chris Mercer | 20 November 2009
Vinopolis, the world wine tourist attraction in central London, plans to expand after marking a decade since opening its doors.
just-drinks deputy editor Chris Mercer attended the Vinopolis tenth anniversary dinner last night, held in the attraction's Cantina restaurant.
Vinopolis board members took the opportunity to announce expansion plans for the attraction. Planning permission has already been received to knock through into a further four disused railway arches, under which Vinopolis is built.
The new space will be used to build a 'street' that is likely to tie the attraction closer to food and wine matching. There are already plans to install a 24hr bakery.
It is no secret in the wine and spirits trade that Vinopolis has struggled to make money for much of its ten-year history.
However, green shoots of optimism at the arrival of new managing director Rupert Ellwood two years ago appear to have blossomed.
Vinpolis turned a profit in 2006, prior to Ellwood's arrival, but the new MD has broadened the attraction's appeal as a venue for events, from wine and spirits tastings to comedy nights.
Chris Mercer, deputy editor.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- The European beer market - Focus
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Pernod Ricard offloads Domecq brandies, wines
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery