Blog: Vinopolis eyes expansion
Chris Mercer | 20 November 2009
Vinopolis, the world wine tourist attraction in central London, plans to expand after marking a decade since opening its doors.
just-drinks deputy editor Chris Mercer attended the Vinopolis tenth anniversary dinner last night, held in the attraction's Cantina restaurant.
Vinopolis board members took the opportunity to announce expansion plans for the attraction. Planning permission has already been received to knock through into a further four disused railway arches, under which Vinopolis is built.
The new space will be used to build a 'street' that is likely to tie the attraction closer to food and wine matching. There are already plans to install a 24hr bakery.
It is no secret in the wine and spirits trade that Vinopolis has struggled to make money for much of its ten-year history.
However, green shoots of optimism at the arrival of new managing director Rupert Ellwood two years ago appear to have blossomed.
Vinpolis turned a profit in 2006, prior to Ellwood's arrival, but the new MD has broadened the attraction's appeal as a venue for events, from wine and spirits tastings to comedy nights.
Chris Mercer, deputy editor.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends