Blog: Vinopolis eyes expansion
Chris Mercer | 20 November 2009
Vinopolis, the world wine tourist attraction in central London, plans to expand after marking a decade since opening its doors.
just-drinks deputy editor Chris Mercer attended the Vinopolis tenth anniversary dinner last night, held in the attraction's Cantina restaurant.
Vinopolis board members took the opportunity to announce expansion plans for the attraction. Planning permission has already been received to knock through into a further four disused railway arches, under which Vinopolis is built.
The new space will be used to build a 'street' that is likely to tie the attraction closer to food and wine matching. There are already plans to install a 24hr bakery.
It is no secret in the wine and spirits trade that Vinopolis has struggled to make money for much of its ten-year history.
However, green shoots of optimism at the arrival of new managing director Rupert Ellwood two years ago appear to have blossomed.
Vinpolis turned a profit in 2006, prior to Ellwood's arrival, but the new MD has broadened the attraction's appeal as a venue for events, from wine and spirits tastings to comedy nights.
Chris Mercer, deputy editor.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research