Blog: Vinopolis eyes expansion
Chris Mercer | 20 November 2009
Vinopolis, the world wine tourist attraction in central London, plans to expand after marking a decade since opening its doors.
just-drinks deputy editor Chris Mercer attended the Vinopolis tenth anniversary dinner last night, held in the attraction's Cantina restaurant.
Vinopolis board members took the opportunity to announce expansion plans for the attraction. Planning permission has already been received to knock through into a further four disused railway arches, under which Vinopolis is built.
The new space will be used to build a 'street' that is likely to tie the attraction closer to food and wine matching. There are already plans to install a 24hr bakery.
It is no secret in the wine and spirits trade that Vinopolis has struggled to make money for much of its ten-year history.
However, green shoots of optimism at the arrival of new managing director Rupert Ellwood two years ago appear to have blossomed.
Vinpolis turned a profit in 2006, prior to Ellwood's arrival, but the new MD has broadened the attraction's appeal as a venue for events, from wine and spirits tastings to comedy nights.
Chris Mercer, deputy editor.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The wine category in 2016 - Review of the Year IV
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Drinks industry counters calls to ban alcohol ads
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends