Blog: Vinisud - Day Two
Olly Wehring | 19 February 2008
This week, we have a roving reporter covering the Vinisud trade event in southern France. Sophie Kevany will be updating us daily from the three-day event, which started yesterday (18 February) in Montpelier.
While the cork vs. screw cap debate has tailed off into discussions about what air ingress a wine needs - at which point many are forced to ask what ingress actually is, and then promptly wish they hadn’t - the PET vs. aluminium vs. Tetra Pak debate is limbering up, spurred on by a glass bottle shortage. Just ask around at Vinisud.
Consider the alternatives. Tetra Pak? It’s better for the environment because it is lighter. Good. Hang on, though, I'm also told Tetra Pack can be hard to recycle because it’s a composite of paper and foil and other things.
PET plastic bottles? Lighter. Recyclable. Great. Then someone says it makes wine taste of plastic. Not good.
Aluminium? That seems to work, only it’s not see-through.
Back to glass? Maybe, only it is hard to get.
The only answer I can see is that there is no clear answer. and, in the post cork vs. screw cap world, at least, this answer feels pretty familiar.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- How soft drinks can exploit alcohol's loss
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends