Blog: Vinisud - Day Two
Olly Wehring | 19 February 2008
This week, we have a roving reporter covering the Vinisud trade event in southern France. Sophie Kevany will be updating us daily from the three-day event, which started yesterday (18 February) in Montpelier.
While the cork vs. screw cap debate has tailed off into discussions about what air ingress a wine needs - at which point many are forced to ask what ingress actually is, and then promptly wish they hadn’t - the PET vs. aluminium vs. Tetra Pak debate is limbering up, spurred on by a glass bottle shortage. Just ask around at Vinisud.
Consider the alternatives. Tetra Pak? It’s better for the environment because it is lighter. Good. Hang on, though, I'm also told Tetra Pack can be hard to recycle because it’s a composite of paper and foil and other things.
PET plastic bottles? Lighter. Recyclable. Great. Then someone says it makes wine taste of plastic. Not good.
Aluminium? That seems to work, only it’s not see-through.
Back to glass? Maybe, only it is hard to get.
The only answer I can see is that there is no clear answer. and, in the post cork vs. screw cap world, at least, this answer feels pretty familiar.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits