Blog: Vinisud - Day Two
Olly Wehring | 19 February 2008
This week, we have a roving reporter covering the Vinisud trade event in southern France. Sophie Kevany will be updating us daily from the three-day event, which started yesterday (18 February) in Montpelier.
While the cork vs. screw cap debate has tailed off into discussions about what air ingress a wine needs - at which point many are forced to ask what ingress actually is, and then promptly wish they hadn’t - the PET vs. aluminium vs. Tetra Pak debate is limbering up, spurred on by a glass bottle shortage. Just ask around at Vinisud.
Consider the alternatives. Tetra Pak? It’s better for the environment because it is lighter. Good. Hang on, though, I'm also told Tetra Pack can be hard to recycle because it’s a composite of paper and foil and other things.
PET plastic bottles? Lighter. Recyclable. Great. Then someone says it makes wine taste of plastic. Not good.
Aluminium? That seems to work, only it’s not see-through.
Back to glass? Maybe, only it is hard to get.
The only answer I can see is that there is no clear answer. and, in the post cork vs. screw cap world, at least, this answer feels pretty familiar.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research