Blog: Vinisud - Day Two
Olly Wehring | 19 February 2008
This week, we have a roving reporter covering the Vinisud trade event in southern France. Sophie Kevany will be updating us daily from the three-day event, which started yesterday (18 February) in Montpelier.
While the cork vs. screw cap debate has tailed off into discussions about what air ingress a wine needs - at which point many are forced to ask what ingress actually is, and then promptly wish they hadn’t - the PET vs. aluminium vs. Tetra Pak debate is limbering up, spurred on by a glass bottle shortage. Just ask around at Vinisud.
Consider the alternatives. Tetra Pak? It’s better for the environment because it is lighter. Good. Hang on, though, I'm also told Tetra Pack can be hard to recycle because it’s a composite of paper and foil and other things.
PET plastic bottles? Lighter. Recyclable. Great. Then someone says it makes wine taste of plastic. Not good.
Aluminium? That seems to work, only it’s not see-through.
Back to glass? Maybe, only it is hard to get.
The only answer I can see is that there is no clear answer. and, in the post cork vs. screw cap world, at least, this answer feels pretty familiar.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Beam Suntory workers end Jim Beam strike
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends