Blog: Vinisud - Day Two
Olly Wehring | 19 February 2008
This week, we have a roving reporter covering the Vinisud trade event in southern France. Sophie Kevany will be updating us daily from the three-day event, which started yesterday (18 February) in Montpelier.
While the cork vs. screw cap debate has tailed off into discussions about what air ingress a wine needs - at which point many are forced to ask what ingress actually is, and then promptly wish they hadn’t - the PET vs. aluminium vs. Tetra Pak debate is limbering up, spurred on by a glass bottle shortage. Just ask around at Vinisud.
Consider the alternatives. Tetra Pak? It’s better for the environment because it is lighter. Good. Hang on, though, I'm also told Tetra Pack can be hard to recycle because it’s a composite of paper and foil and other things.
PET plastic bottles? Lighter. Recyclable. Great. Then someone says it makes wine taste of plastic. Not good.
Aluminium? That seems to work, only it’s not see-through.
Back to glass? Maybe, only it is hard to get.
The only answer I can see is that there is no clear answer. and, in the post cork vs. screw cap world, at least, this answer feels pretty familiar.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- The European beer market - Focus
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Bacardi names new global communications head
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery
- Diageo reaches deal in Stitzel legal row