Blog: Vinisud - Day Three
Olly Wehring | 20 February 2008
This week, we have had a roving reporter covering the Vinisud trade event in southern France. Sophie Kevany has been updating us daily from the three-day event, which winds up today (20 February), in Montpelier.
Strange, after the optimism encountered at the show this week, to see figures, published today (20 February), showing the Languedoc Roussillon region down in export value by 2.5%, belying individual successes.
So, it’s clear that something has to change. Luckily, one Frenchman I met today is clear about what should appeal to more consumers, while at the same time doing his little bit to lower CO2 emissions. Not through the use of Tetra Pak, PET or aluminium - but with sails.
Fréderic Albert has assembled a range of what he calls “normally priced, good French wine from the Languedoc”, retailing at between EUR7 and EUR20, which he will ship along canals from the Languedoc, and then out of Bordeaux by sailboat, through his company Compagnie de Transport Maritime a la Voile.
The first shipment of 60,000 bottles, bearing the slogan: “Carried by sailing ship, a better deal for the planet”, will arrive in Dublin this March, having saved 140 grammes of carbon per bottle.
A second ship, costing Albert around EUR6m, is almost ready and the next delivery is set for Canada in June. The UK, Sweden and Denmark will follow, using a total of seven ships by 2013.
A novel approach - but will it work?
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The wine category in 2016 - Review of the Year IV
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Drinks industry counters calls to ban alcohol ads
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends