Blog: Vinisud - Day One
Olly Wehring | 18 February 2008
This week, we have a roving reporter covering the Vinisud trade event in southern France. Sophie Kevany will be updating us daily from the three-day event, which started this morning (18 February) in Montpelier.
It is often tough to get where you are going at trade fairs, but Vinisud is particularly difficult. Basically, I missed the Rhone tasting this morning - eye catchers everywhere.
The plan was to stop en route for a quick look at Fat Bastard and a taste of a new wine called Rhoning Stones. Well, I still haven't got there yet, because I got distracted by a Coq D'Oc. It tasted great, for a wine in the GBP5 bracket.
After that I made it as far as a bottle of Bois-Sans-Soif - a Captain Haddock expression for a competitive drinker - from Domaine de Clairac. That also tasted great - like cherries, but fresh not fake - is biodynamic and costs similar.
Three stands down was Benoit Viot who is going to ship his Chemin des Reves wines to the UK by sea to cut carbon emissions. And now I am in the 'le off' zone - a bit like off Broadway - where the stands are recyclable and people are wearing leather jackets.
Head spinning for a girl who left Bordeaux at 5am this morning.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020