Blog: Vinexpo - Monday
Olly Wehring | 19 June 2007
This missive from our French correspondent, Sophie Kevany, at this year's VinExpo.
Right, it is only 7pm on day two of Vinexpo 2007, and I am already using the ‘get-energy-back-using-free-Champagne’ plan.
The combined effects of an intense press scuffle this morning around the newly-appointed, but now former, Environment Minister, Alain Juppé - who told the assembled scrum they’d be happier if he was dead - plus no food in the press room and restaurant queues, has left me weak.
I’m sure the South African team are also using the ‘get-energy-back’ plan this evening, having had their wine samples impounded by customs. Their truck is now on its way back to Belgium, so the whole thing has been a disaster, on top of 2003.
And a Russian woman in the loo just said to me, “The hand dryers are in reality not working, it is not an effect of the wine,” so I now reckon everyone must be trying out the plan.
Heavy metal legend Bruce Dickinson - lead singer of the band Iron Maiden, for the unitiated - is clearly a man not afraid to get his hands dirty. ...
The homebrewing revival continues in the UK - and evidence has come that even the supermarket chains are taking it semi-seriously. ...
Does Pernod Ricard have something to hide? In a press conference after the release of full-year results today, only a quarter of the 100 minutes were given over to questions from journalists....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Carlsberg, Heineken, Coca-Cola Amatil, California's winelands and Cognac....
- Allegro: The shape of things to come at Pernod?
- The End of the Road for International Beer Brands?
- Comment - Another One Bites Bacardi's Dust
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- US craft vodka puts squeeze on Pernod's Absolut
- Pernod bemoans tough FY as sales, profits drop
- Bacardi announces CFO switch
- ASA bans Jägermeister TV ad
- Pernod Ricard set for CMO switch
- Scotch whisky leaders sign pro-UK letter