Blog: Vinexpo boss elicits a press pack w(h)ine
James Wilmore | 6 February 2013
English wines may still be struggling for worldwide recognition, but you would think news of their existence would have reached France by now.
Vinexpo chief executive Robert Beynat upset members of the trade press pack yesterday in London, during a presentation on global wine and spirit trends.
Introducing a table on global per capita wine consumption, Beynat noted that the UK, in tenth place, was "the only non-producing country in the top ten". Cue much spluttering from the assembled hacks. Indeed, one scribe was forced to point out to the Vinexpo chief that his statement was clearly false.
Beynat acknowledged his error with a grin.
The 64-year-old exhibition boss lists his hobbies as "watching bullfighting", so he should be accustomed to a bit of rough-and-tumble.
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
Advertising can be a strange beast. ...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018