Blog: Vinexpo boss elicits a press pack w(h)ine
James Wilmore | 6 February 2013
English wines may still be struggling for worldwide recognition, but you would think news of their existence would have reached France by now.
Vinexpo chief executive Robert Beynat upset members of the trade press pack yesterday in London, during a presentation on global wine and spirit trends.
Introducing a table on global per capita wine consumption, Beynat noted that the UK, in tenth place, was "the only non-producing country in the top ten". Cue much spluttering from the assembled hacks. Indeed, one scribe was forced to point out to the Vinexpo chief that his statement was clearly false.
Beynat acknowledged his error with a grin.
The 64-year-old exhibition boss lists his hobbies as "watching bullfighting", so he should be accustomed to a bit of rough-and-tumble.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends