Blog: Vinexpo 2009 - 'It could have been worse'
Olly Wehring | 25 June 2009
A look of palpable relief beamed from the faces of the Vinexpo press team this afternoon, the final day of Bordeaux's signature wine event.
Organisers of the fair relaxed their haunched shoulders as it became clear that visitor figures were not as bad as anticipated and that a spot of surreptitious scouting for opinions on the show floor had yielded warmer-than-expected feedback.
Estimated visitor figures for the bi-annual show are around 46-47,000 for the five days, just-drinks understands. That is down on the 50,000 visitors from 2007, but it is a mark of the economic times that the 2009 figure is considered a positive result.
It could have been worse and many of the organisers feared that it would be, they have subsequently admitted.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Altria raises Anheuser-Busch InBev holding
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends