Blog: Vinexpo 2009 - 'It could have been worse'
Olly Wehring | 25 June 2009
A look of palpable relief beamed from the faces of the Vinexpo press team this afternoon, the final day of Bordeaux's signature wine event.
Organisers of the fair relaxed their haunched shoulders as it became clear that visitor figures were not as bad as anticipated and that a spot of surreptitious scouting for opinions on the show floor had yielded warmer-than-expected feedback.
Estimated visitor figures for the bi-annual show are around 46-47,000 for the five days, just-drinks understands. That is down on the 50,000 visitors from 2007, but it is a mark of the economic times that the 2009 figure is considered a positive result.
It could have been worse and many of the organisers feared that it would be, they have subsequently admitted.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends