Blog: Vimto's walk-on role in Ebola fight
Andy Morton | 9 October 2014
Last week, the Daily Telegraph reported - in an article headlined “I'll fight off Ebola with bottles of Vimto” - that a Liberian self-proclaimed bishop was holding prayer sessions to ward off the deadly virus. In the stead of communion wine, the bishop is using Nichols' sparkling herb-based fruity pop.
It's a surprising story, but not unusual for the 100-year-old brand. West Africa has long been a core market for Vimto and locals often use it as a substitute for alcohol in church services. Furthermore, the soda has been available in the Middle East since 1928 and these days is a staple of many Ramadan diets.
But of all the stories that have surrounded Vimto over the past century, last week's surely has to be one of the strangest.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
It was a bruising first results announcement for management at the newly-formed Coca-Cola European Partners....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends