Blog: Vimto's sweet success for Ramadan
Andy Morton | 4 May 2012
Vimto has been sold in the Middle East for the past 25 years
A trading statement from UK soft-drinks maker Nichols this week unearthed an interesting nugget: apparently, Nichols-owned Vimto is very popular in the Middle East during Ramadan.
The brand has been sold in the region for the past 25 years, Nichols told just-drinks, and performs well throughout the religious festival because it's non-alcoholic and sweet.
A quick call to a handful of popular Ramadan restaurants in the UK backed this up.
"People like fruity drinks during Ramadan," said Ali from Imran's Restaurant & Sweet House in Birmingham's famous Balti Triangle. "When people have been fasting all day they like to drink something sweet before they start eating food."
Imran's doesn't stock Vimto, however, and neither does the Lahore Kebab & Sweet House just down road. But, when told that it's a big-seller in countries such as Saudi Arabia, the manager there suggested that might change.
"What's good for the goose is good for the gander," he said.
Nichols should get on the case.
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research