Blog: Vimto's sweet success for Ramadan
Andy Morton | 4 May 2012
Vimto has been sold in the Middle East for the past 25 years
A trading statement from UK soft-drinks maker Nichols this week unearthed an interesting nugget: apparently, Nichols-owned Vimto is very popular in the Middle East during Ramadan.
The brand has been sold in the region for the past 25 years, Nichols told just-drinks, and performs well throughout the religious festival because it's non-alcoholic and sweet.
A quick call to a handful of popular Ramadan restaurants in the UK backed this up.
"People like fruity drinks during Ramadan," said Ali from Imran's Restaurant & Sweet House in Birmingham's famous Balti Triangle. "When people have been fasting all day they like to drink something sweet before they start eating food."
Imran's doesn't stock Vimto, however, and neither does the Lahore Kebab & Sweet House just down road. But, when told that it's a big-seller in countries such as Saudi Arabia, the manager there suggested that might change.
"What's good for the goose is good for the gander," he said.
Nichols should get on the case.
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
The Coca-Cola Co has spent a lot of money recently fighting accusations that soft drinks make you fat....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- just Five Years Ago - The Birth of Accolade Wines
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- Beam Suntory appoints chief HR officer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research