Blog: Vimto's sweet success for Ramadan
Andy Morton | 4 May 2012
Vimto has been sold in the Middle East for the past 25 years
A trading statement from UK soft-drinks maker Nichols this week unearthed an interesting nugget: apparently, Nichols-owned Vimto is very popular in the Middle East during Ramadan.
The brand has been sold in the region for the past 25 years, Nichols told just-drinks, and performs well throughout the religious festival because it's non-alcoholic and sweet.
A quick call to a handful of popular Ramadan restaurants in the UK backed this up.
"People like fruity drinks during Ramadan," said Ali from Imran's Restaurant & Sweet House in Birmingham's famous Balti Triangle. "When people have been fasting all day they like to drink something sweet before they start eating food."
Imran's doesn't stock Vimto, however, and neither does the Lahore Kebab & Sweet House just down road. But, when told that it's a big-seller in countries such as Saudi Arabia, the manager there suggested that might change.
"What's good for the goose is good for the gander," he said.
Nichols should get on the case.
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
Frank Sinatra liked a drink. He was famous for it. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Are Big Spirits Companies Failing to Innovate?
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Suntory sells Louis Royer Cognac for US$110m
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research