Blog: VAT increase garners industry reactions
Olly Wehring | 11 November 2009
With VAT due to be restored to its standard 17.5% rate by the end of the year, many in the industry have voiced their opinions on excise duty.
The WSTA yesterday (10 November) called on the government to cut duty once the VAT rise is implemented, claiming the rise was happening at an “inconvenient” and the “worst possible” time of the year.
The association questioned whether lowering the VAT really had any impact on stimulating consumer demand.
The BBPA echoed those sentiments, asking to be treated on a “level footing” with other sectors of the economy.
While the BRC has said it will be up to individual retailers to decide whether to pass on the increase, Tesco has confirmed to just-drinks that will indeed be the case.
And so the potential effects on the drinks industry once the VAT increases are implemented are yet to be witnessed, but with Christmas on the horizon, a last minute spending surge by consumers may be on the cards.
Click here for more insight into the industry's thoughts on the VAT increase.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits