Blog: Valentine's Day - say it with… Absinthe?!
Olly Wehring | 12 February 2007
If you haven’t sorted out your Valentine treat for your loved one yet, you’ve not got long now.
Me? I’ve nailed my colours to the mast, convincing my better half that we don’t want to be dragged into such consumer-ist nonsense. Bunches of roses? Chocolates? Cards with cuddling teddy bears? Pah - such silliness is for the masses, darling. So, a bunch of flowers on the 15th will be my form of Valentine rebellion.
Besides, they’ll be much cheaper then.
However, one company has a novel idea for those of you wishing to celebrate your love on Wednesday. eAbsinthe.com is suggesting sending your Romeo or Juliet a choice of Absinthes on Valentine’s Day. With over 70 types of Absinthe from around the world on offer, alongside Absinthe chocolate truffles and Absinthe accessories, it could make a refreshing change.
My sole experience of Absinthe, however, doesn’t suggest romance in any form. In a student bar in St Petersburg, ‘cooking’ a sugar cube in a spoon with a lighter before dropping it into a glass of the stuff before necking it with my then-girlfriend (Unrelated, I’m sure, but we didn’t last).
Have I missed something, dear reader? Is there a more romantic link with this green syrup?
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
Jim Cramer, the excitable host of stock-picker programme Mad Money on CNBC, turned his attention on US brewers last week, attempting to forecast which has the most potential for investors....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Boom time for soft drinks in West Europe?
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Patron's lesson for the broader spirits sector
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Rum "yet to maximise" GTR potential - Bacardi
- Leelex to open Portobello Road gin distillery
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends