Blog: Valentine's Day - say it with… Absinthe?!
Olly Wehring | 12 February 2007
If you haven’t sorted out your Valentine treat for your loved one yet, you’ve not got long now.
Me? I’ve nailed my colours to the mast, convincing my better half that we don’t want to be dragged into such consumer-ist nonsense. Bunches of roses? Chocolates? Cards with cuddling teddy bears? Pah - such silliness is for the masses, darling. So, a bunch of flowers on the 15th will be my form of Valentine rebellion.
Besides, they’ll be much cheaper then.
However, one company has a novel idea for those of you wishing to celebrate your love on Wednesday. eAbsinthe.com is suggesting sending your Romeo or Juliet a choice of Absinthes on Valentine’s Day. With over 70 types of Absinthe from around the world on offer, alongside Absinthe chocolate truffles and Absinthe accessories, it could make a refreshing change.
My sole experience of Absinthe, however, doesn’t suggest romance in any form. In a student bar in St Petersburg, ‘cooking’ a sugar cube in a spoon with a lighter before dropping it into a glass of the stuff before necking it with my then-girlfriend (Unrelated, I’m sure, but we didn’t last).
Have I missed something, dear reader? Is there a more romantic link with this green syrup?
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Brown-Forman launches brand nutrition website
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers