Blog: Valentine's Day - say it with… Absinthe?!
Olly Wehring | 12 February 2007
If you haven’t sorted out your Valentine treat for your loved one yet, you’ve not got long now.
Me? I’ve nailed my colours to the mast, convincing my better half that we don’t want to be dragged into such consumer-ist nonsense. Bunches of roses? Chocolates? Cards with cuddling teddy bears? Pah - such silliness is for the masses, darling. So, a bunch of flowers on the 15th will be my form of Valentine rebellion.
Besides, they’ll be much cheaper then.
However, one company has a novel idea for those of you wishing to celebrate your love on Wednesday. eAbsinthe.com is suggesting sending your Romeo or Juliet a choice of Absinthes on Valentine’s Day. With over 70 types of Absinthe from around the world on offer, alongside Absinthe chocolate truffles and Absinthe accessories, it could make a refreshing change.
My sole experience of Absinthe, however, doesn’t suggest romance in any form. In a student bar in St Petersburg, ‘cooking’ a sugar cube in a spoon with a lighter before dropping it into a glass of the stuff before necking it with my then-girlfriend (Unrelated, I’m sure, but we didn’t last).
Have I missed something, dear reader? Is there a more romantic link with this green syrup?
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
Ever wondered how a whiskey still gets built? ...
After yesterday's introduction to Chile, today was all about Concha y Toro – that's to be expected, seeing as they invited me here....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Editor's Viewpoint – What I've Learnt About Chile
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)