Blog: US$225,000? For a bottle of Tequila? Is that all?!
Olly Wehring | 27 July 2006
By my own admission, I never went into journalism for the money - if that were my motivation I wouldn’t be here now, I’ll tell you that much. Consequently, I’m pretty careful with the cash. I know how much a pint of milk is (41p) and the going rate for a pint of cooking lager in a stereotypical London public house (GBP3).
I often daydream, however, about what it would be like if money were no object. Join me, then, in my little fantasy…
I bought a bottle of Tequila today. It was a bit more than I expected to pay, but what the heck. You only live once. And at least I can now boast to my friends, Farquar and Persephone, that I own the most expensive drink in the world – US$225,000 it cost me!
It’s made by a company called Tequila Ley.925 and is called Pasion Azteca Tequila. They call it ultra-premium, but I’m not so sure. Early next year, they’re releasing a bottle plated with gold, platinum and diamonds, and expect it to go for US$1m at auction.
I might get two…
Ho-hum. Back to the world of dreams.
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
A bit of football fun for a Friday. Anheuser-Busch InBev has released the ad that will accompany its new Budweiser 'Dream Goal' campaign, that seeks to find the UK's best amateur goal. ...
No sooner had Anheuser-Busch InBev taken a gentle pop at the craft beer segment during February's Super Bowl, than the world's largest brewer has challenged the sub-category's target market in New Yor...
A few wry grins will have been raised in the offices of Dr Pepper Snapple Group today. ...
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Who should Stock Spirits Acquire?
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Pernod Ricard queries nutritional label use
- Diageo's Guinness Golden Ale
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets