Blog: US$225,000? For a bottle of Tequila? Is that all?!
Olly Wehring | 27 July 2006
By my own admission, I never went into journalism for the money - if that were my motivation I wouldn’t be here now, I’ll tell you that much. Consequently, I’m pretty careful with the cash. I know how much a pint of milk is (41p) and the going rate for a pint of cooking lager in a stereotypical London public house (GBP3).
I often daydream, however, about what it would be like if money were no object. Join me, then, in my little fantasy…
I bought a bottle of Tequila today. It was a bit more than I expected to pay, but what the heck. You only live once. And at least I can now boast to my friends, Farquar and Persephone, that I own the most expensive drink in the world – US$225,000 it cost me!
It’s made by a company called Tequila Ley.925 and is called Pasion Azteca Tequila. They call it ultra-premium, but I’m not so sure. Early next year, they’re releasing a bottle plated with gold, platinum and diamonds, and expect it to go for US$1m at auction.
I might get two…
Ho-hum. Back to the world of dreams.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts