Blog: US$225,000? For a bottle of Tequila? Is that all?!
Olly Wehring | 27 July 2006
By my own admission, I never went into journalism for the money - if that were my motivation I wouldn’t be here now, I’ll tell you that much. Consequently, I’m pretty careful with the cash. I know how much a pint of milk is (41p) and the going rate for a pint of cooking lager in a stereotypical London public house (GBP3).
I often daydream, however, about what it would be like if money were no object. Join me, then, in my little fantasy…
I bought a bottle of Tequila today. It was a bit more than I expected to pay, but what the heck. You only live once. And at least I can now boast to my friends, Farquar and Persephone, that I own the most expensive drink in the world – US$225,000 it cost me!
It’s made by a company called Tequila Ley.925 and is called Pasion Azteca Tequila. They call it ultra-premium, but I’m not so sure. Early next year, they’re releasing a bottle plated with gold, platinum and diamonds, and expect it to go for US$1m at auction.
I might get two…
Ho-hum. Back to the world of dreams.
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends