Blog: US$15m for Coca-Cola's original recipe? Not these days
Andy Morton | 15 May 2013
You can get all sorts of things on eBay - a new laptop, a car, the original recipe for Coca-Cola.
Yes, really. Well, probably. A man called Cliff Kluge claims to have found the soft drinks equivalent of the holy grail in a pile of letters bought at an estate sale in Georgia and is now selling it on the online auction site for up to US$15m.
Sorry, how much?
Cliff is obviously unaware of the declining value of full-sugar cola CSDs that has seen The Coca-Cola Co embrace low- and no-calorie ideals and PepsiCo attempt to reinvent the category with a sweetener shakeup.
Now, if he were to find a recipe for a zero-calorie carbonated soft-drink that uses all-natural ingredients and shifts over a billion cans a day, then I'm sure he could name his price.
I can think of at least two companies that would be very interested.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Focus - Suntory Holdings' FY Performance
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report