Blog: US: Lightweight jewellery grasses up heavyweight consumers
Olly Wehring | 24 January 2008
Tough guys get dainty anklets this week. It’s the new thing in the US apparently, no more hefty jewellery for the wife-beaters. That’s a load off. Literally.
Yesterday (23 January), Alcohol Monitoring Systems (AMS) modified its alcohol-sensing bracelets, which are meant to be worn unobtrusively on the ankle, by domestic violence and alcohol-triggered offenders. Problem is, most of the wearers complained that they were heavy and uncomfortable. Naturally, something had to be done to save the poor guys.
The next generation bracelets, known as SCRAM II (Secure Continuous Remote Alcohol Monitor) sample a person’s sweat at least once an hour and monitor for alcohol consumption 24/7. The newer versions are said to be lighter in weight and less “clunky” to wear than the previous ankle cuffs.
The initial SCRAM bracelets, which were designed to monitor people required to stay sober as part of a court order, a management programme or addiction treatment plan, will be phased out over the next few months. By October, AMS reckons they’ll have completely replaced the lot.
AMS vice president of field operations Don White said: "Offenders are sentenced to wear SCRAM bracelets for months and sometimes years at a time. The new design is half the size and weight, which has improved the fit and comfort. That's important both to the clients wearing the units and to the court and probation personnel who are managing them.”
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends