Blog: US lacks bottle for craft soda revolution
Andy Morton | 17 October 2014
PepsiCo created a stir last week with the news it is testing a product called Caleb's Kola, with some in the media claiming it was the beginning of a new “craft soda” category.
An article in Business Week asked if products such as Caleb's, which is made from cane sugar and kola nut extract, could do for soft drinks what craft beer has down for the US brewing sector.
It's a nice thought. But, as the article points out, so much wishful thinking. The US's glittering craft beer reputation was built on the backs of hundreds of small-scale, quality-obsessed hobbyists who liked beer so much they wanted to make their own. Caleb's Kola is the pet project of an international conglomerate with a presence in almost every country in the world, and with enough money to buy all US craft brewers out a few times over.
So unless America's soda fans start turning their garages and laundry rooms into ad-hoc bottling plants, we are unlikely to witness a craft soda revolution any time soon.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Recent research by Euromonitor International into the health & wellness trend in soft drinks shows that the description of 'natural' is very much a self-governed practice: There is not yet any conclus...
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Gallo's vineyard footprint in California - The map
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Heineken snaps up Stellenbrau craft brewery
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends