Blog: US lacks bottle for craft soda revolution
Andy Morton | 17 October 2014
PepsiCo created a stir last week with the news it is testing a product called Caleb's Kola, with some in the media claiming it was the beginning of a new “craft soda” category.
An article in Business Week asked if products such as Caleb's, which is made from cane sugar and kola nut extract, could do for soft drinks what craft beer has down for the US brewing sector.
It's a nice thought. But, as the article points out, so much wishful thinking. The US's glittering craft beer reputation was built on the backs of hundreds of small-scale, quality-obsessed hobbyists who liked beer so much they wanted to make their own. Caleb's Kola is the pet project of an international conglomerate with a presence in almost every country in the world, and with enough money to buy all US craft brewers out a few times over.
So unless America's soda fans start turning their garages and laundry rooms into ad-hoc bottling plants, we are unlikely to witness a craft soda revolution any time soon.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits