Blog: US election: Ale man versus abstainer
James Wilmore | 6 November 2012
Alcohol has often played a role in politics, but will it swing any votes in the US election?
Barack Obama has his own microbrewery in the White House, which surely must impress some brewers. (To prove it's not just a PR stunt, a short video about the brewing process and recipes for the beers were even released).
Meanwhile, Mitt Romney is a tee-totaller, due to his Mormon faith. Although apparently he has "friends who own multinational breweries", according to writer Timothy Egan, who also offers a good overview of past presidents and their levels of indulgence here.
Could America really elect a man who doesn't drink at all? I'm not sure it could happen here in the UK.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020