Blog: US election: Ale man versus abstainer
James Wilmore | 6 November 2012
Alcohol has often played a role in politics, but will it swing any votes in the US election?
Barack Obama has his own microbrewery in the White House, which surely must impress some brewers. (To prove it's not just a PR stunt, a short video about the brewing process and recipes for the beers were even released).
Meanwhile, Mitt Romney is a tee-totaller, due to his Mormon faith. Although apparently he has "friends who own multinational breweries", according to writer Timothy Egan, who also offers a good overview of past presidents and their levels of indulgence here.
Could America really elect a man who doesn't drink at all? I'm not sure it could happen here in the UK.
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
Jim Cramer, the excitable host of stock-picker programme Mad Money on CNBC, turned his attention on US brewers last week, attempting to forecast which has the most potential for investors....
- Boom time for soft drinks in West Europe?
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Patron's lesson for the broader spirits sector
- Inchdairnie and the quiet whisky revolution
- Britvic's H1 Performance by Region - Focus
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- Diageo names Javier Ferran as new chairman
- SABMiller issues currency alert as Africa weakens
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends