Blog: Uncool is the new cool - hopefully
Olly Wehring | 17 November 2005
A trip into the Big Smoke (that’s London town) on Tuesday, to an event that, while promoting brands that were cool, left me feeling a tad out of touch with the young folk of today. It’s official – coolness has finally left me.
The CoolBrands CoolLife event was a celebration of the 100 brands that have been dubbed ‘cool,’ by an independent panel of dudes, no doubt. “CoolBrands are brands that have become extremely desirable among many leaders and influencers,” the blurb says. “They have a magic about them signifying that users have an exceptional sense of taste and style.”
So, heartiest congratulations to the following drinks companies, for being cool in 2005: Asahi, Budweiser Budvar, Campari, Cobra Beer, Coca-Cola, Guinness, Havana Club, Hoegaarden, Stella Artois, and mein hosts, Tiger Beer.
The evening included the Campari Red Passion Burlesque Bar, with beds for relaxation; the De’Longhi sound kitchen mixing VJs and DJs; the Dermalogica face mapping station; the Tiger Beer martial arts screening room and stila make-up touch-ups through-out the night. Sounds exhausting, doesn’t it?
I only lasted an hour – far too bright, far too loud, far too cool.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China