Blog: Uncool is the new cool - hopefully
Olly Wehring | 17 November 2005
A trip into the Big Smoke (that’s London town) on Tuesday, to an event that, while promoting brands that were cool, left me feeling a tad out of touch with the young folk of today. It’s official – coolness has finally left me.
The CoolBrands CoolLife event was a celebration of the 100 brands that have been dubbed ‘cool,’ by an independent panel of dudes, no doubt. “CoolBrands are brands that have become extremely desirable among many leaders and influencers,” the blurb says. “They have a magic about them signifying that users have an exceptional sense of taste and style.”
So, heartiest congratulations to the following drinks companies, for being cool in 2005: Asahi, Budweiser Budvar, Campari, Cobra Beer, Coca-Cola, Guinness, Havana Club, Hoegaarden, Stella Artois, and mein hosts, Tiger Beer.
The evening included the Campari Red Passion Burlesque Bar, with beds for relaxation; the De’Longhi sound kitchen mixing VJs and DJs; the Dermalogica face mapping station; the Tiger Beer martial arts screening room and stila make-up touch-ups through-out the night. Sounds exhausting, doesn’t it?
I only lasted an hour – far too bright, far too loud, far too cool.
The long-running spat between US and Czech brewers has stepped up a notch after the Czech president described American beer as “filthy water” this week....
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review