Blog: UK wine market - value v education
Olly Wehring | 17 November 2006
Constellation Europe has followed its US cousin in commissioning some pretty interesting consumer research. The company came to town (London-town) today (17 November) to unveil the results of Wine Nation, a look at UK wine consumers and why they buy the wine they do.
The main conclusion of the research is that an increase in consumer involvement in and knowledge of the category will translate directly into an increase in value at the point of sale. The majority of UK drinkers are still confused about the wine market, the survey said, and they won’t feel comfortable trading up until they know what they’re on about.
This is very much a chicken and egg scenario, I fear. While value continues to play as big a part as it does in the mindset of us Brits, the need to educate is high, but still comes a very poor second to price - especially in as cut-throat a market as the UK.
It is obvious, I know, but the lower the perceived risk is when making a purchase, the more likely the customer is to spend more.
The crux of the matter, however, is that the importance played by value runs right through the wine consumer. De-emphasising that, while leading them through the wine maze will, one day, make someone very, very rich indeed.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Molson Coors' Rekorderlig Cider Cocktails - NPD
- Carlsberg's Shed Head and Bad Apple craft - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends