Blog: UK wine market - value v education
Olly Wehring | 17 November 2006
Constellation Europe has followed its US cousin in commissioning some pretty interesting consumer research. The company came to town (London-town) today (17 November) to unveil the results of Wine Nation, a look at UK wine consumers and why they buy the wine they do.
The main conclusion of the research is that an increase in consumer involvement in and knowledge of the category will translate directly into an increase in value at the point of sale. The majority of UK drinkers are still confused about the wine market, the survey said, and they won’t feel comfortable trading up until they know what they’re on about.
This is very much a chicken and egg scenario, I fear. While value continues to play as big a part as it does in the mindset of us Brits, the need to educate is high, but still comes a very poor second to price - especially in as cut-throat a market as the UK.
It is obvious, I know, but the lower the perceived risk is when making a purchase, the more likely the customer is to spend more.
The crux of the matter, however, is that the importance played by value runs right through the wine consumer. De-emphasising that, while leading them through the wine maze will, one day, make someone very, very rich indeed.
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
The Coca-Cola Co has spent a lot of money recently fighting accusations that soft drinks make you fat....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research