Blog: UK wine market - value v education
Olly Wehring | 17 November 2006
Constellation Europe has followed its US cousin in commissioning some pretty interesting consumer research. The company came to town (London-town) today (17 November) to unveil the results of Wine Nation, a look at UK wine consumers and why they buy the wine they do.
The main conclusion of the research is that an increase in consumer involvement in and knowledge of the category will translate directly into an increase in value at the point of sale. The majority of UK drinkers are still confused about the wine market, the survey said, and they won’t feel comfortable trading up until they know what they’re on about.
This is very much a chicken and egg scenario, I fear. While value continues to play as big a part as it does in the mindset of us Brits, the need to educate is high, but still comes a very poor second to price - especially in as cut-throat a market as the UK.
It is obvious, I know, but the lower the perceived risk is when making a purchase, the more likely the customer is to spend more.
The crux of the matter, however, is that the importance played by value runs right through the wine consumer. De-emphasising that, while leading them through the wine maze will, one day, make someone very, very rich indeed.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits