Blog: UK wine market - value v education
Olly Wehring | 17 November 2006
Constellation Europe has followed its US cousin in commissioning some pretty interesting consumer research. The company came to town (London-town) today (17 November) to unveil the results of Wine Nation, a look at UK wine consumers and why they buy the wine they do.
The main conclusion of the research is that an increase in consumer involvement in and knowledge of the category will translate directly into an increase in value at the point of sale. The majority of UK drinkers are still confused about the wine market, the survey said, and they won’t feel comfortable trading up until they know what they’re on about.
This is very much a chicken and egg scenario, I fear. While value continues to play as big a part as it does in the mindset of us Brits, the need to educate is high, but still comes a very poor second to price - especially in as cut-throat a market as the UK.
It is obvious, I know, but the lower the perceived risk is when making a purchase, the more likely the customer is to spend more.
The crux of the matter, however, is that the importance played by value runs right through the wine consumer. De-emphasising that, while leading them through the wine maze will, one day, make someone very, very rich indeed.
Perhaps because it's a Friday and I'm a bit hungry, but Pernod Ricard's idea to launch a 'London Steak Awards' backed by its Argentinian wine brand Graffigna seems like clever marketing. ...
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA head - part II
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo reveals US$400m Tequila investment
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Coca-Cola Co apologises over Fanta ad
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future