Blog: UK thirst for Budweiser
Chris Mercer | 18 August 2010
Glancing at recent sales of Budweiser, there is no wonder that Anheuser-Busch InBev has handed the Stag brewery a stay of execution in the UK.
The brewery is now expected to close at the back end of 2011, rather than at the beginning of the year, as earlier announced by A-B InBev.
Last week's quarterly figures from the brewer give us an insight into its thinking. The firm's sales volumes rose by 11% in the UK in the second quarter, against a market that only just kept its head above the water.
Budweiser sales, in particular, rocketed off a low base - which the brewer has attributed to the brand's position as official sponsor to the FIFA World Cup. England were briefly involved in the tournament.
A contact of mine and long-serving employee at the Stag brewery, based in Mortlake near London, told me earlier this year that the facility was brewing "more Budweiser than ever before".
It seems A-B InBev needs more time to figure out how to maintain supply once the brewery is shut.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits