Blog: UK thirst for Budweiser
Chris Mercer | 18 August 2010
Glancing at recent sales of Budweiser, there is no wonder that Anheuser-Busch InBev has handed the Stag brewery a stay of execution in the UK.
The brewery is now expected to close at the back end of 2011, rather than at the beginning of the year, as earlier announced by A-B InBev.
Last week's quarterly figures from the brewer give us an insight into its thinking. The firm's sales volumes rose by 11% in the UK in the second quarter, against a market that only just kept its head above the water.
Budweiser sales, in particular, rocketed off a low base - which the brewer has attributed to the brand's position as official sponsor to the FIFA World Cup. England were briefly involved in the tournament.
A contact of mine and long-serving employee at the Stag brewery, based in Mortlake near London, told me earlier this year that the facility was brewing "more Budweiser than ever before".
It seems A-B InBev needs more time to figure out how to maintain supply once the brewery is shut.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends