Blog: UK minimum pricing won't affect most drinks - the proof?
Chris Mercer | 16 February 2011
Let's be honest, it didn't really need an investigation, did it? At least, no more than a few minutes with a calculator. Still, it's interesting to see just how little the UK Government's minimum pricing plan will affect most alcoholic drinks, according to a new study.
Plans to ban drinks sales at below the sum total of duty tax and value added tax are set to be introduced by the UK Government later this year.
The announcement has already drawn the ire of the pub trade, which quickly picked out that a can of lager, under the new rules, would still only cost GBP0.38. A pint of lager, around 568ml, costs GBP3 on average in pubs and bars.
Now, the Guardian newspaper has published an investigation that, it says, shows that something like one in 4,000 drinks are likely to be affected by the new rule.
From an industry perspective, rather than the actual floor price, what's more worrying about the Government's announcement is the precedent it sets. Ministers are directly linking pricing to alcohol harm.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits