Blog: UK minimum pricing won't affect most drinks - the proof?
Chris Mercer | 16 February 2011
Let's be honest, it didn't really need an investigation, did it? At least, no more than a few minutes with a calculator. Still, it's interesting to see just how little the UK Government's minimum pricing plan will affect most alcoholic drinks, according to a new study.
Plans to ban drinks sales at below the sum total of duty tax and value added tax are set to be introduced by the UK Government later this year.
The announcement has already drawn the ire of the pub trade, which quickly picked out that a can of lager, under the new rules, would still only cost GBP0.38. A pint of lager, around 568ml, costs GBP3 on average in pubs and bars.
Now, the Guardian newspaper has published an investigation that, it says, shows that something like one in 4,000 drinks are likely to be affected by the new rule.
From an industry perspective, rather than the actual floor price, what's more worrying about the Government's announcement is the precedent it sets. Ministers are directly linking pricing to alcohol harm.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Coca-Cola Amatil FY 2016 - results data
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends