Blog: UK minimum pricing won't affect most drinks - the proof?
Chris Mercer | 16 February 2011
Let's be honest, it didn't really need an investigation, did it? At least, no more than a few minutes with a calculator. Still, it's interesting to see just how little the UK Government's minimum pricing plan will affect most alcoholic drinks, according to a new study.
Plans to ban drinks sales at below the sum total of duty tax and value added tax are set to be introduced by the UK Government later this year.
The announcement has already drawn the ire of the pub trade, which quickly picked out that a can of lager, under the new rules, would still only cost GBP0.38. A pint of lager, around 568ml, costs GBP3 on average in pubs and bars.
Now, the Guardian newspaper has published an investigation that, it says, shows that something like one in 4,000 drinks are likely to be affected by the new rule.
From an industry perspective, rather than the actual floor price, what's more worrying about the Government's announcement is the precedent it sets. Ministers are directly linking pricing to alcohol harm.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends