Blog: UK licensing changes - six months on
Olly Wehring | 23 May 2006
Today, we celebrate the six-month anniversary of changes in the licensing laws in England and Wales. The changes were trumpeted with prophets of doom and gloom in this country’s press, who had a field day warning of blood in the streets. So, after half a year, what colour are our roads?
Well, you’ll be delighted to here that there is certainly no more ruby red in the roads than there was before and, although it is nigh on impossible to answer definitively whether the changes have increased or decreased our drinking problems, things seem pretty much the same round here.
According to Neil Williams from the British Beer and Pub Association: “There has been limited change in city centres. The new system is allowing people to stay in their favourite local pub longer on certain nights rather than traipse into town to go to a bar.”
I can concur with this. On nights out in (London) town, I’ve found it quite hard to find a pub around Leicester Square open past 11pm for a quiet drink (although the 'super pubs' are open, I tend to give them a wide berth). My local pub, however, is regularly open until around midnight most nights.
The real test, however, is still ahead of us. With the World Cup just over a fortnight away, and (hopefully) some long, hot summer nights ahead, we could be in for a boisterous few months over here.
For an in-depth look at the “Storm in a pint glass” from the BBC, click here.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research