Blog: UK economy shrinks, again
Olly Wehring | 23 October 2009
Put the Champagne on ice. The UK economy remains in recession after wrong-footing analysts by shrinking in the third quarter of 2009.
While neighbouring France and Germany this summer returned to growth in gross domestic product, the UK reported today (23 October) that its own economy shrank 0.4% in the three months to the end of September.
Most analysts had expected a small return to growth, albeit of around 0.2%.
The news makes the current recession the worst since UK records began in the 1950s. Coupled with this, the UK jobless rate is around 8%, at 2.47m unemployed.
A timely reminder that, despite renewed optimism from some corners of the drinks industry, we are far from out of the woods.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020