Blog: UK economy shrinks, again
Olly Wehring | 23 October 2009
Put the Champagne on ice. The UK economy remains in recession after wrong-footing analysts by shrinking in the third quarter of 2009.
While neighbouring France and Germany this summer returned to growth in gross domestic product, the UK reported today (23 October) that its own economy shrank 0.4% in the three months to the end of September.
Most analysts had expected a small return to growth, albeit of around 0.2%.
The news makes the current recession the worst since UK records began in the 1950s. Coupled with this, the UK jobless rate is around 8%, at 2.47m unemployed.
A timely reminder that, despite renewed optimism from some corners of the drinks industry, we are far from out of the woods.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research