Blog: UK economy shrinks, again
Olly Wehring | 23 October 2009
Put the Champagne on ice. The UK economy remains in recession after wrong-footing analysts by shrinking in the third quarter of 2009.
While neighbouring France and Germany this summer returned to growth in gross domestic product, the UK reported today (23 October) that its own economy shrank 0.4% in the three months to the end of September.
Most analysts had expected a small return to growth, albeit of around 0.2%.
The news makes the current recession the worst since UK records began in the 1950s. Coupled with this, the UK jobless rate is around 8%, at 2.47m unemployed.
A timely reminder that, despite renewed optimism from some corners of the drinks industry, we are far from out of the woods.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends