Blog: UK drinkers forever blowing bubbles
Olly Wehring | 1 December 2008
Oh, how I remember how Sunday mornings used to be. Waking up at around midday, with a throbbing head, slightly blurred vision, a mouth that tasted like a cat had slept in it... and some sort of random paraphernalia in the room that had me asking: How did THAT get here?
Yep, Saturday nights were always a drink-filled slice of fun when I was in my 20s.
For drinkers in the north of England, it seems, that slice of fun may lead to them finding bubble blowers by their beds come Sunday morning.
A report in yesterday's (30 November) Observer has said that police in Bolton, Lancashire, are launching a scheme next month where they will hand out free toys to young drinkers as they exit bars and clubs in the city, the idea being that drinkers trying to blow bubbles will be drinkers otherwise pre-occupied from picking fights.
This appears to be from the same school of thought that has seen Manchester police distribute lollipops to stop people shouting in the streets after they've had a skin-full, and seen female drinkers in Devon receive flip-flops to stop them falling in the gutter.
Beats finding a traffic cone in your bed, doesn't it?
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research