Blog: UK Budget 2008 - Everyone's a... loser?
Olly Wehring | 12 March 2008
It seems fair to say that today’s Budget announcement here in the UK has pleased precisely no-one in the drinks industry.
While beer and wine prices are set to rise, the latter by GBP0.14 per bottle, spirits companies have borne the brunt, with a 10% leap in duty – the first rise in over a decade. The reactions flooding into just-drinks towers today really do suggest it is the end of the world out there.
It would appear that the Government has caved into demands from the British Medical Association to distance itself from the drinks industry to handle what the body has called “the UK epidemic of alcohol misuse”.
Could this really be a case that all that hard work by the industry to try to curb the excesses of the British public has failed? Has the Government thrown the towel in, only to pick up the blunt instrument of increased taxation?
The drinks companies themselves seem to think so, but I’d appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
But, please, try and keep them cheery – I’m beginning to feel like Eeyore, reading the reactions.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits