Blog: Two-Buck Chuck that!
Chris Brook-Carter | 24 February 2005
I have just finished proofing our latest management briefing, a review of the California wine industry, which should be published within the next couple of days. The report is based on the month-long trip our deputy editor Olly Wehring made to California just before Christmas.
Among the colourful characters Olly met – and I am told there were many – was Bronco Wine’s export consultant, Jim Carter.
The report has many points of interest – and should be essential reading for anyone with a vested interested in the California wine industry. However, quotes from the interview we conducted with Jim were my own particular highlight, capturing the unique nature of Bronco perfectly.
Here are three of the best to whet your appetite.
“There’s always been cheap wine in the US, thanks to low taxes. The problem was that a US$2 bottle of wine tasted like US$2 – it’d kill you! Bronco’s wine turned out to be pretty good.”
“There are no focus groups, sit-arounds or touchy-feely fireplace meetings. For other companies, the train keeps going over the cliff. Bronco drives over the cliff too, but after the first couple of cars, they’re able to turn it off and back it up.”
“There’s nobody like Bronco, and I’d imagine few companies would actually like to be like Bronco.”
If you want to read more, then visit our member section and download the free 10,000-word briefing on the California industry. If you are not a member, you can buy a copy of the report or join just-drinks by following the instructions on membership page.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends