Blog: Two-Buck Chuck that!
Chris Brook-Carter | 24 February 2005
I have just finished proofing our latest management briefing, a review of the California wine industry, which should be published within the next couple of days. The report is based on the month-long trip our deputy editor Olly Wehring made to California just before Christmas.
Among the colourful characters Olly met – and I am told there were many – was Bronco Wine’s export consultant, Jim Carter.
The report has many points of interest – and should be essential reading for anyone with a vested interested in the California wine industry. However, quotes from the interview we conducted with Jim were my own particular highlight, capturing the unique nature of Bronco perfectly.
Here are three of the best to whet your appetite.
“There’s always been cheap wine in the US, thanks to low taxes. The problem was that a US$2 bottle of wine tasted like US$2 – it’d kill you! Bronco’s wine turned out to be pretty good.”
“There are no focus groups, sit-arounds or touchy-feely fireplace meetings. For other companies, the train keeps going over the cliff. Bronco drives over the cliff too, but after the first couple of cars, they’re able to turn it off and back it up.”
“There’s nobody like Bronco, and I’d imagine few companies would actually like to be like Bronco.”
If you want to read more, then visit our member section and download the free 10,000-word briefing on the California industry. If you are not a member, you can buy a copy of the report or join just-drinks by following the instructions on membership page.
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Coke Life - Coca-Cola's niche soda - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends