Blog: TV and the drinks trade - what do they have in common?
Andy Morton | 8 September 2015
It's not often you hear the phrase “fantasy-world-inspired” in the drinks trade.
But, I did, today, with the launch of the limited-edition J20 Midnight Forest, a orange, cherry and chocolate juice from Britvic. The new product is obviously trying to cash in on the success of Game of Thrones, the HBO swords, sex and sorcery show that has been a runaway small-screen success. Which made me wonder what other similarities the industry has with TV shows.
- Breaking Bad and the craft spirits segment - A desperate father sick of his job tries his hand at making intoxicating products in a home-made lab, and ends up doing it better than the pros
- Heineken and The Man from U.N.C.L.E. - The height of 1960s sophistication and starring secret agents
- Star Trek and flavoured vodka – Used to be huge but now nowhere to be seen. Came in may different versions
- Entourage and Scotch whisky – Johnnie/Johnny was the real star of the show, though no one seemed to really like him. Got big before ending up being a slight parody of itself
Do you have any of your own?
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends