Blog: TV and the drinks trade - what do they have in common?
Andy Morton | 8 September 2015
It's not often you hear the phrase “fantasy-world-inspired” in the drinks trade.
But, I did, today, with the launch of the limited-edition J20 Midnight Forest, a orange, cherry and chocolate juice from Britvic. The new product is obviously trying to cash in on the success of Game of Thrones, the HBO swords, sex and sorcery show that has been a runaway small-screen success. Which made me wonder what other similarities the industry has with TV shows.
- Breaking Bad and the craft spirits segment - A desperate father sick of his job tries his hand at making intoxicating products in a home-made lab, and ends up doing it better than the pros
- Heineken and The Man from U.N.C.L.E. - The height of 1960s sophistication and starring secret agents
- Star Trek and flavoured vodka – Used to be huge but now nowhere to be seen. Came in may different versions
- Entourage and Scotch whisky – Johnnie/Johnny was the real star of the show, though no one seemed to really like him. Got big before ending up being a slight parody of itself
Do you have any of your own?
Paul Walsh just can't stay away from the drinks industry....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- How craft beer has shattered its US shackles
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- BrewDog moves into spirits with LoneWolf launch
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report