Blog: TV and the drinks trade - what do they have in common?
Andy Morton | 8 September 2015
It's not often you hear the phrase “fantasy-world-inspired” in the drinks trade.
But, I did, today, with the launch of the limited-edition J20 Midnight Forest, a orange, cherry and chocolate juice from Britvic. The new product is obviously trying to cash in on the success of Game of Thrones, the HBO swords, sex and sorcery show that has been a runaway small-screen success. Which made me wonder what other similarities the industry has with TV shows.
- Breaking Bad and the craft spirits segment - A desperate father sick of his job tries his hand at making intoxicating products in a home-made lab, and ends up doing it better than the pros
- Heineken and The Man from U.N.C.L.E. - The height of 1960s sophistication and starring secret agents
- Star Trek and flavoured vodka – Used to be huge but now nowhere to be seen. Came in may different versions
- Entourage and Scotch whisky – Johnnie/Johnny was the real star of the show, though no one seemed to really like him. Got big before ending up being a slight parody of itself
Do you have any of your own?
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends