Blog: TV and the drinks trade - what do they have in common?
Andy Morton | 8 September 2015
It's not often you hear the phrase “fantasy-world-inspired” in the drinks trade.
But, I did, today, with the launch of the limited-edition J20 Midnight Forest, a orange, cherry and chocolate juice from Britvic. The new product is obviously trying to cash in on the success of Game of Thrones, the HBO swords, sex and sorcery show that has been a runaway small-screen success. Which made me wonder what other similarities the industry has with TV shows.
- Breaking Bad and the craft spirits segment - A desperate father sick of his job tries his hand at making intoxicating products in a home-made lab, and ends up doing it better than the pros
- Heineken and The Man from U.N.C.L.E. - The height of 1960s sophistication and starring secret agents
- Star Trek and flavoured vodka – Used to be huge but now nowhere to be seen. Came in may different versions
- Entourage and Scotch whisky – Johnnie/Johnny was the real star of the show, though no one seemed to really like him. Got big before ending up being a slight parody of itself
Do you have any of your own?
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Pernod Ricard has introduced a new Absolut vodka flavour to the US market. ...
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Coca-Cola European Partners (CCEP) has launched a GBP4.5m (US$5.4m) advertising campaign for Coca-Cola Zero Sugar in the UK....
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends