Blog: Trading places
Chris Brook-Carter | 10 August 2004
Just got off the 'phone to our Australian correspondent Tony Baker after a good chat about free trade and the recent trade agreement between Australia and the US.
He believes the Australian wine industry is unimpressed with the agreement which is due to be ratified by Parliament in Canberra this week, despite officially supporting the pact.
In practice, he says, the Aussie industry is underwhelmed because most of the promised benefits will not be apparent until 2015 as tariff cuts will be phased in over 11 years.
No less practically, Australian wine exports to the US are already booming to the extent that it has become the biggest market by value, a total of A$908m (US$644m).
Rather than tariffs and quotas, Australian producers are more concerned with the Californian grape glut and the complexities of the US state-based distribution system.
This weekend, Bacardi is hosting a three-day music event on the private island of Palomino just off the coast of Puerto Rico....
Warmest thanks to all of you who filled in our annual readers' survey this month. The results are very important for us to learn from and look to improve our service to you....
Today's news that German spirits firm Mast-Jägermeister has joined UK responsible drinking organisation The Portman Group may raise eyebrows in some quarters....
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- English Gin Breaks Away From its Core Markets
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- SABMiller announces management reshuffle
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Wine in the United Kingdom