Blog: Trading places
Chris Brook-Carter | 10 August 2004
Just got off the 'phone to our Australian correspondent Tony Baker after a good chat about free trade and the recent trade agreement between Australia and the US.
He believes the Australian wine industry is unimpressed with the agreement which is due to be ratified by Parliament in Canberra this week, despite officially supporting the pact.
In practice, he says, the Aussie industry is underwhelmed because most of the promised benefits will not be apparent until 2015 as tariff cuts will be phased in over 11 years.
No less practically, Australian wine exports to the US are already booming to the extent that it has become the biggest market by value, a total of A$908m (US$644m).
Rather than tariffs and quotas, Australian producers are more concerned with the Californian grape glut and the complexities of the US state-based distribution system.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Angostura places CEO on administrative leave
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends