Blog: Trading places
Chris Brook-Carter | 10 August 2004
Just got off the 'phone to our Australian correspondent Tony Baker after a good chat about free trade and the recent trade agreement between Australia and the US.
He believes the Australian wine industry is unimpressed with the agreement which is due to be ratified by Parliament in Canberra this week, despite officially supporting the pact.
In practice, he says, the Aussie industry is underwhelmed because most of the promised benefits will not be apparent until 2015 as tariff cuts will be phased in over 11 years.
No less practically, Australian wine exports to the US are already booming to the extent that it has become the biggest market by value, a total of A$908m (US$644m).
Rather than tariffs and quotas, Australian producers are more concerned with the Californian grape glut and the complexities of the US state-based distribution system.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends