Blog: Towards a Fluid State
Chris Mercer | 8 December 2009
Think premium spirits and food matching meets pyschadelic music and live contemporary art in a garage warehouse in the backstreets of London. Read on to see how just-drinks deputy editor Chris Mercer spent his Saturday night.
There was handmade Sake matched with black sesame seed ice cream, Courvoisier Cognac with 3D glasses and biodynamic red wine from southern France.
There were also ladyboys and talented Japanese 'Manga' artists.
Then there was the near-naked man (subsequently identified as British artist Philip Li) being slowly wrapped in clingfilm, clay and black bin-liners on a long wooden table - to the sound of psychadelic electro music.
It is run by Australians Angella Newell and Hayley Sudbury, both members of the Courvoisier Future 500 network and committed food and drink enthusiasts.
"It’s not a farmers market nor is it anything like Taste of London," Newell and Sudbury said of their first big event.
"We are working with a fantastic range of independent producers, distributors and brands to deliver unusual and compelling experiences around what you eat and drink."
Their motto is "say no to boredom, blandness, tastelessness and rigidity".
While undoubtedly one of the more surreal experiences of this drinks journalist's career, boring and bland this event definitely wasn't.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends