Blog: Towards a Fluid State
Chris Mercer | 8 December 2009
Think premium spirits and food matching meets pyschadelic music and live contemporary art in a garage warehouse in the backstreets of London. Read on to see how just-drinks deputy editor Chris Mercer spent his Saturday night.
There was handmade Sake matched with black sesame seed ice cream, Courvoisier Cognac with 3D glasses and biodynamic red wine from southern France.
There were also ladyboys and talented Japanese 'Manga' artists.
Then there was the near-naked man (subsequently identified as British artist Philip Li) being slowly wrapped in clingfilm, clay and black bin-liners on a long wooden table - to the sound of psychadelic electro music.
It is run by Australians Angella Newell and Hayley Sudbury, both members of the Courvoisier Future 500 network and committed food and drink enthusiasts.
"It’s not a farmers market nor is it anything like Taste of London," Newell and Sudbury said of their first big event.
"We are working with a fantastic range of independent producers, distributors and brands to deliver unusual and compelling experiences around what you eat and drink."
Their motto is "say no to boredom, blandness, tastelessness and rigidity".
While undoubtedly one of the more surreal experiences of this drinks journalist's career, boring and bland this event definitely wasn't.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Beam Suntory workers end Jim Beam strike
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Boston Beer Co outlines Samuel Adams innovation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends