Blog: Towards a Fluid State
Chris Mercer | 8 December 2009
Think premium spirits and food matching meets pyschadelic music and live contemporary art in a garage warehouse in the backstreets of London. Read on to see how just-drinks deputy editor Chris Mercer spent his Saturday night.
There was handmade Sake matched with black sesame seed ice cream, Courvoisier Cognac with 3D glasses and biodynamic red wine from southern France.
There were also ladyboys and talented Japanese 'Manga' artists.
Then there was the near-naked man (subsequently identified as British artist Philip Li) being slowly wrapped in clingfilm, clay and black bin-liners on a long wooden table - to the sound of psychadelic electro music.
It is run by Australians Angella Newell and Hayley Sudbury, both members of the Courvoisier Future 500 network and committed food and drink enthusiasts.
"It’s not a farmers market nor is it anything like Taste of London," Newell and Sudbury said of their first big event.
"We are working with a fantastic range of independent producers, distributors and brands to deliver unusual and compelling experiences around what you eat and drink."
Their motto is "say no to boredom, blandness, tastelessness and rigidity".
While undoubtedly one of the more surreal experiences of this drinks journalist's career, boring and bland this event definitely wasn't.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends