Blog: Tough year ahead for soft drinks firms?
Michelle Russell | 28 April 2011
just-drinks has been busy this week bringing you news on the raft of first quarter results released by soft drinks firms.
Among them, we've had PepsiCo, The Coca-Cola Co, Dr Pepper Snapple Group (DPSG) and Coca-Cola FEMSA.
PepsiCo, this morning (28 April) reported a drop in first quarter profits, as did Coca-Cola Enterprises and Embotelladora Andina. The Coca-Cola Co, on the other hand, saw profits rise in the quarter, along with DPSG and Coca-Cola FEMSA.
But, while the latter firms can be pleased with their profits, all have pointed to rising costs as a potential problem heading into the remainder of 2011.
The CSD market in North America is yet to fully recover and high global commodity cost inflation and difficult macroeconomic conditions are threatening to take their toll on the top-line of these firms.
New figures show that economic growth slowed sharply in the US in the first quarter of the year. GDP slowed to an annual rate of 1.8% in the three-month period, from 3.1% in the final quarter of 2010.
Consumer sentiment is clearly still weak and spending power is being undermined by higher food and petrol prices, government spending cuts and ongoing high unemployment. Soft drinks companies could find that the rest of the year gets tougher, rather than easier.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends