Blog: Tough year ahead for soft drinks firms?
Michelle Russell | 28 April 2011
just-drinks has been busy this week bringing you news on the raft of first quarter results released by soft drinks firms.
Among them, we've had PepsiCo, The Coca-Cola Co, Dr Pepper Snapple Group (DPSG) and Coca-Cola FEMSA.
PepsiCo, this morning (28 April) reported a drop in first quarter profits, as did Coca-Cola Enterprises and Embotelladora Andina. The Coca-Cola Co, on the other hand, saw profits rise in the quarter, along with DPSG and Coca-Cola FEMSA.
But, while the latter firms can be pleased with their profits, all have pointed to rising costs as a potential problem heading into the remainder of 2011.
The CSD market in North America is yet to fully recover and high global commodity cost inflation and difficult macroeconomic conditions are threatening to take their toll on the top-line of these firms.
New figures show that economic growth slowed sharply in the US in the first quarter of the year. GDP slowed to an annual rate of 1.8% in the three-month period, from 3.1% in the final quarter of 2010.
Consumer sentiment is clearly still weak and spending power is being undermined by higher food and petrol prices, government spending cuts and ongoing high unemployment. Soft drinks companies could find that the rest of the year gets tougher, rather than easier.
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018