Blog: Tough year ahead for soft drinks firms?
Michelle Russell | 28 April 2011
just-drinks has been busy this week bringing you news on the raft of first quarter results released by soft drinks firms.
Among them, we've had PepsiCo, The Coca-Cola Co, Dr Pepper Snapple Group (DPSG) and Coca-Cola FEMSA.
PepsiCo, this morning (28 April) reported a drop in first quarter profits, as did Coca-Cola Enterprises and Embotelladora Andina. The Coca-Cola Co, on the other hand, saw profits rise in the quarter, along with DPSG and Coca-Cola FEMSA.
But, while the latter firms can be pleased with their profits, all have pointed to rising costs as a potential problem heading into the remainder of 2011.
The CSD market in North America is yet to fully recover and high global commodity cost inflation and difficult macroeconomic conditions are threatening to take their toll on the top-line of these firms.
New figures show that economic growth slowed sharply in the US in the first quarter of the year. GDP slowed to an annual rate of 1.8% in the three-month period, from 3.1% in the final quarter of 2010.
Consumer sentiment is clearly still weak and spending power is being undermined by higher food and petrol prices, government spending cuts and ongoing high unemployment. Soft drinks companies could find that the rest of the year gets tougher, rather than easier.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends