Blog: Tough year ahead for soft drinks firms?
Michelle Russell | 28 April 2011
just-drinks has been busy this week bringing you news on the raft of first quarter results released by soft drinks firms.
Among them, we've had PepsiCo, The Coca-Cola Co, Dr Pepper Snapple Group (DPSG) and Coca-Cola FEMSA.
PepsiCo, this morning (28 April) reported a drop in first quarter profits, as did Coca-Cola Enterprises and Embotelladora Andina. The Coca-Cola Co, on the other hand, saw profits rise in the quarter, along with DPSG and Coca-Cola FEMSA.
But, while the latter firms can be pleased with their profits, all have pointed to rising costs as a potential problem heading into the remainder of 2011.
The CSD market in North America is yet to fully recover and high global commodity cost inflation and difficult macroeconomic conditions are threatening to take their toll on the top-line of these firms.
New figures show that economic growth slowed sharply in the US in the first quarter of the year. GDP slowed to an annual rate of 1.8% in the three-month period, from 3.1% in the final quarter of 2010.
Consumer sentiment is clearly still weak and spending power is being undermined by higher food and petrol prices, government spending cuts and ongoing high unemployment. Soft drinks companies could find that the rest of the year gets tougher, rather than easier.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Newcastle Brown Ale to lose caramel colouring
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages