Blog: Tough at the top
Chris Brook-Carter | 17 February 2004
Managing a major sports team is often cited as one of the highest pressure jobs going, with job security at a minimum and the chances to complete your long term visions poor.
In this case real life is starting to reflect sport, according to Foster's boss, Ted Kunkel, who this week argued for longer contracts for chief executive appointments.
Kunkel, it seems, believes that current four and five-year tenures for CEOs are too short, market-driven and do not allow for a strategic vision to be implemented. He said strategic visions required up to 10 years to fulfil.
But if there are a tougher lot to please in the short term than sport fans, it is institutional investors, so one wonders if Kunkel's hopes are realistic at all.
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future