Blog: Tough at the top
Chris Brook-Carter | 17 February 2004
Managing a major sports team is often cited as one of the highest pressure jobs going, with job security at a minimum and the chances to complete your long term visions poor.
In this case real life is starting to reflect sport, according to Foster's boss, Ted Kunkel, who this week argued for longer contracts for chief executive appointments.
Kunkel, it seems, believes that current four and five-year tenures for CEOs are too short, market-driven and do not allow for a strategic vision to be implemented. He said strategic visions required up to 10 years to fulfil.
But if there are a tougher lot to please in the short term than sport fans, it is institutional investors, so one wonders if Kunkel's hopes are realistic at all.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Beam Suntory workers end Jim Beam strike
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends