Blog: To the morgue for Thai drink drivers
Lucy Britner | 12 April 2016
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving?
According to the BBC, officials in Thailand have said drunk-drivers could find themselves dealing with the dead, after a measure to allow courts the option of sending them to work in morgues was rubber-stamped by authorities.
"It is aimed to be a deterrent, a way to discourage people," police colonel Kriangdej Jantarawong told the website.
According to the World Health Organisation, 24,000 people die a year on Thai roads. For context, that figure was 1,780 in the UK last year.
The move in Thailand comes as the country prepares to celebrate Songkran. Apparently the week before is called 'Seven Deadly Days' because of the huge number of road accidents.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Canadian craft brewer Unibroue has partnered the lead singer of Megadeth to release a beer. ...
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
Puerto Rican rum company Destileria Serralles has launched two aged rums in the UK....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends