Blog: To the morgue for Thai drink drivers
Lucy Britner | 12 April 2016
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving?
According to the BBC, officials in Thailand have said drunk-drivers could find themselves dealing with the dead, after a measure to allow courts the option of sending them to work in morgues was rubber-stamped by authorities.
"It is aimed to be a deterrent, a way to discourage people," police colonel Kriangdej Jantarawong told the website.
According to the World Health Organisation, 24,000 people die a year on Thai roads. For context, that figure was 1,780 in the UK last year.
The move in Thailand comes as the country prepares to celebrate Songkran. Apparently the week before is called 'Seven Deadly Days' because of the huge number of road accidents.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Yesterday, Remy Cointreau posted a strong jump in YTD sales driven by impressive Cognac Q3 performances in China and the US. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the company's sales performance by...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits