Blog: Tingyi shares soar on PepsiCo China deal
Michelle Russell | 7 November 2011
Shares in Tingyi Holding Corp rallied in early trading today (7 November) following the firm's announcement of its deal with PepsiCo on Friday.
Tingyi has purchased PepsiCo's entire China bottling operations in exchange for a 9.5% interest in its drinks business. Before the announcement, Tingyi had suspended trading on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange on Friday, pending the "price sensitive transaction".
Tingyi's Hong Kong-listed shares opened 8.2% higher at HK$22.50 upon resuming trading today. At 1138 GMT, Tingyi was up 9.4% at HK$22.75, while Hong Kong's benchmark Hang Seng Index was up 0.3%.
While the deal will help PepsiCo expand its market share in China, it could also help Tingyi enlarge its product mix - Tingyi sells only diluted fruit juice products and has little exposure to the pure fruit juice sector.
The tie-up is one of only a few in which a Chinese company has acquired a foreign stake within its own borders and not the other way around.
Tingyi may have its hands full however; in 2010, PepsiCo's bottling operations recorded a combined loss of $175.6m, amid rising labour and raw material costs.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
The Coca-Cola Co is in the middle of a major restructuring plan, affecting jobs around the world. The company is also downsizing its packaging....
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research