Blog: Tingyi shares soar on PepsiCo China deal
Michelle Russell | 7 November 2011
Shares in Tingyi Holding Corp rallied in early trading today (7 November) following the firm's announcement of its deal with PepsiCo on Friday.
Tingyi has purchased PepsiCo's entire China bottling operations in exchange for a 9.5% interest in its drinks business. Before the announcement, Tingyi had suspended trading on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange on Friday, pending the "price sensitive transaction".
Tingyi's Hong Kong-listed shares opened 8.2% higher at HK$22.50 upon resuming trading today. At 1138 GMT, Tingyi was up 9.4% at HK$22.75, while Hong Kong's benchmark Hang Seng Index was up 0.3%.
While the deal will help PepsiCo expand its market share in China, it could also help Tingyi enlarge its product mix - Tingyi sells only diluted fruit juice products and has little exposure to the pure fruit juice sector.
The tie-up is one of only a few in which a Chinese company has acquired a foreign stake within its own borders and not the other way around.
Tingyi may have its hands full however; in 2010, PepsiCo's bottling operations recorded a combined loss of $175.6m, amid rising labour and raw material costs.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research