Blog: Tingyi shares soar on PepsiCo China deal
Michelle Russell | 7 November 2011
Shares in Tingyi Holding Corp rallied in early trading today (7 November) following the firm's announcement of its deal with PepsiCo on Friday.
Tingyi has purchased PepsiCo's entire China bottling operations in exchange for a 9.5% interest in its drinks business. Before the announcement, Tingyi had suspended trading on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange on Friday, pending the "price sensitive transaction".
Tingyi's Hong Kong-listed shares opened 8.2% higher at HK$22.50 upon resuming trading today. At 1138 GMT, Tingyi was up 9.4% at HK$22.75, while Hong Kong's benchmark Hang Seng Index was up 0.3%.
While the deal will help PepsiCo expand its market share in China, it could also help Tingyi enlarge its product mix - Tingyi sells only diluted fruit juice products and has little exposure to the pure fruit juice sector.
The tie-up is one of only a few in which a Chinese company has acquired a foreign stake within its own borders and not the other way around.
Tingyi may have its hands full however; in 2010, PepsiCo's bottling operations recorded a combined loss of $175.6m, amid rising labour and raw material costs.
This weekend, Bacardi is hosting a three-day music event on the private island of Palomino just off the coast of Puerto Rico....
Warmest thanks to all of you who filled in our annual readers' survey this month. The results are very important for us to learn from and look to improve our service to you....
Today's news that German spirits firm Mast-Jägermeister has joined UK responsible drinking organisation The Portman Group may raise eyebrows in some quarters....
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- SABMiller announces management reshuffle
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Wine in the United Kingdom